In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hi Standard .22 Sentinel

orooro Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hello,I have a question on this pistol..it is a Hi-Standard revolver,it holds 9,it has Sentinel with a eagle on the side.On the other side is has the ser.# and R-101,but it just says .22 Cal. Anyone knows if it shots LR,mags,or only shorts ? It is unfired also,any idea what it might be worth ? Thanks,Oro

Comments

• orooro Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks,thats all I needed to know.Oro
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While it is true that these High Standard Sentinel revolvers are chambered in .22 Long Rifle, like any revolver chambered in .22 Long Rifle, it is important to clarify that it will also shoot .22 Longs and .22 Shorts safely.

In case you are wondering, the extractor does not have a return spring on a R-101. Almost every early Sentinel you see will have some scars on the frame from someone trying to close the cylinder with the extractor extended. Later revolvers, beginning with the Model R-103 (perhaps R-102 - cannot remember for sure without checking), have a spring-loaded extractor.

I have always had a fondness for Sentinels, perhaps because I got an early R-100 3-inch when I was a teenager. I buy them everytime I see one that is worthwhile. I just cannot resist them.

The Spacek book on High Standards from 1951 through 1984 has many errors regarding the early Sentinels so do not take everything stated as correct.
  • DonldDonld Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting shorts, longs, long rifles, CB caps, and birdshot out of my Sentinel since 1964. It's a handy, reliable, little gun.
  • redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi oro:

JudgeColt gave you the right info. Spring loaded extractors appeared on the R-102 series Sentinels (and the W-102 series Double Nine type western style revolvers). However, these guns were being built to a price, and when the very unpopular non-spring loaded extractor of the R-100s and R-101s was introduced, the barrel was modified (slightly smaller diameter which eliminated the necessity of machining a recess for the extractor) and the front sight was changed to a simple blade from the ramp type you have on your R-101. Just don't forget to manually return the extractor all the way back into the cylinder.

These guns were originally designed by Harry Sefried who went on to a long and successful career, first with High Standard and then with Ruger. Despite the low cost, the little Sentinels had many modern features, including a hammer blocking safety and high grade aluminum alloy frame. The barrels were button rifled on the same tooling as the famous target pistols. The design also provide a pretty good trigger action for an inexpensive gun, not too heavy, crisp and with little overtravel. Most of them shoot very accurately. (I sold my S&W Kit Gun when I discovered I could shoot a Sentinel Deluxe I had at the time better.) I have more than a couple now, my favorites of the alloy frame guns being a Sentinel Imperial and a Natchez.

If the gun is unfired, it is probably worth a little more than $125. While there are plenty of these guns out there in the market, most saw hard usage, and truly nice ones are relatively much harder to find than shooters. There are a handful of collectors out there, and a NIB w/papers gun would approach $200 for an R-101. Even without the box and papers, any R-100, R-101, W-100 or W-101 without ejector scars will bring a higher price from a knowledgable buyer.

And JudgeColt is also right about the errata in Spacek's book. Nevertheless it does contain much useful information. The Blue book also has some bad info, and generally undervalues these guns.

If you provide the serial number (use xx for the last 3 digits) we can get you the year of manufacture.

redcedars
  • ActionClawActionClaw Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a more-or-less similar question (about my R-101) to others I've seen in this forum. Based on what I know about Hi-Standard Sentinels combined with what I've read in posts here and elsewhere, it's been established that the it can fire short, long or long rifle, CB caps, and birdshot.

Also that, at least, some "double-nines" may've been designed to take interchangable cylinders to also shoot magnums so perhaps some can also fire magnums...IF it has the correct cylinder. But what about "High velocity" and "hyper velocity" .22 LR's? Stingers, Yellow Jackets, and similar usually post warnings that they "must only be used in modern firearms in good condition". If .22's first came out around 1915 or so and it's now 2007, in this context, can a Sentinel manufactured, probably, in the late 1950's/early 1960's (before, I believe, "High velocity" 22s existed) be considered a "modern firearm"?

Can these be used in the Sentinel? If not, why not; is the concern that High velocity ammo can explode the firearm?
    If it can handle a magnum (under certain circumstances) I would think a high velocity should be OK, no?

There's no real need for me to use these anyway and I probably won't; I'm mainly curious.

(Also, while I'm posting this, if someone could and wouldn't mind also giving me an idea of the year mine was manufactured, I'd appreciate it. It's an R-101, serial number 686xxx.)

Thanks
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to this site: http://disc.server.com/Indices/226190.html

The moderator is John Stimpson, he will answer all your questions regarding your Sentinel.

quote:Originally posted by ActionClaw
    I have a more-or-less similar question (about my R-101) to others I've seen in this forum. Based on what I know about Hi-Standard Sentinels combined with what I've read in posts here and elsewhere, it's been established that the it can fire short, long or long rifle, CB caps, and birdshot.

Also that, at least, some "double-nines" may've been designed to take interchangable cylinders to also shoot magnums so perhaps some can also fire magnums...IF it has the correct cylinder. But what about "High velocity" and "hyper velocity" .22 LR's? Stingers, Yellow Jackets, and similar usually post warnings that they "must only be used in modern firearms in good condition". If .22's first came out around 1915 or so and it's now 2007, in this context, can a Sentinel manufactured, probably, in the late 1950's/early 1960's (before, I believe, "High velocity" 22s existed) be considered a "modern firearm"?

Can these be used in the Sentinel? If not, why not; is the concern that High velocity ammo can explode the firearm?
    If it can handle a magnum (under certain circumstances) I would think a high velocity should be OK, no?

There's no real need for me to use these anyway and I probably won't; I'm mainly curious.

(Also, while I'm posting this, if someone could and wouldn't mind also giving me an idea of the year mine was manufactured, I'd appreciate it. It's an R-101, serial number 686xxx.)

Thanks