In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Long term storage in the box???

treadlok97treadlok97 Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
Some of the guns I have are upto 35 years old but still new in the box. Some of the boxes just have the styrofoam in them and the gun lays on it. I have heard over time that the foam will messup the blueing. I also have a few with plastic around the gun.
I talked to a guy at the gunshow the other day and he said to get some wax paper and put around the gun so the foam would not hurt it.
What to do??????

Thanks
Shannon

Comments

• Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one's in plastic are more than likely coated with preservative oil from the factory.
    The one's in styrofoam - well, oil will eventually dissolve the surface and it can stick to your gun, it also hardens as the styrene component evaporates, slowly.
    The wax paper wrap seems to work well, but you still must make sure that the finish and the interior parts are protected with a preservative oil. BREAKFREE makes a collector grade oil that doesn't evaporate as quickly as their CLP. All oils will evaporate in time and should be renewed on a fairly regular basis. With out some sort of preservative - moisture in the air will affect the finish on your guns.
    Sitting on cardboard or paper will eventually begin to corrode the parts of the gun in contact with it, as cardboard and paper are "acid" in nature - paper more so that cb.
  • Options
    treadlok97treadlok97 Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks 32.

Anybody else have a thought on this?
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use rust inhibitor paper from Brownells. Have had a gun in it for a couple of years. No problems so far. Any problems with this paper?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get some VCI paper, and line the styrofoam with it, and/or use a cosmoline preservative, if you choose to store them in the boxes. Another option would be, depending on the size and value of the collection, to buy a large safe, or safes, and put dessicant, and a golden rod dehumidifier in with them, boxes and all. Lets face it for collectors, NIB, including a well maintained box is the holy grail of what we seek. That being said, I would personally seek out seperate storage for the boxes, and the weapons. That way i can wipe the weapons down, and still have the boxes and accessories if I should decide to sell one. Above all, routinely check on your goods condition, no matter which method of storage you use. A good cloth, with a good rust inhibitor, a couple hours of time once every 3 months, could save thousands of dollars.