In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 win mag Lemag M1 Carbine

BuyMyJunkBuyMyJunk Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
What's one of these worth $$$ and are they worth a hoot quality wise. Barrel looks thin and is not pleasing to the eye. Thanks for any and all help.[?]

Comments

• Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lemag was a custom gunshop, the guy's name was LeGendre I think. He converted some M-1 carbines to different calibers, including the 45 Win Mag. (45 Win Mag is NOT for large dangerous game, and not usually found in bolt action rifles, it is just sort of an elongated 45 ACP and found in handguns mainly)The Lemags are few and far between, I had put one on order when he just sort of disappeared. I have never seen a real one, but there were several articles written about them and I do not recall any problems. If you do not buy it, I would be interested in it.
    thanks

Found some more info:
    The LeMAG carbine conversion cost approx. $350 in '95. 15 rnd mags hold 6 rnds, 30 rnd mags hold 13 rnds, and they are original mags, but they slightly modified the feed lips and TIG welded steel studs onto the back of the mag. 230grn bullets gave no problems, but there were FTE with 260 grn bullets. 230grn rnds clocked 1864fps 4 ft from the muzzle, and 260 grn was 1482fps. They were available in 9mm win mag, 10mm mag, 50AE, 475 Wildey, 357 mag, 44 mag, and 41 mag, but all those were considered custom conversions, and were $200+ more. This info came from American Survival Guide Jan '95 by Jim Benson
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a lot between the lines of LeMag gunzine articles. Seems to me that they were very ammo sensitive, set up for the 230 gr hardball load, and did not have much safety margin, with the occasional KaBoom if overloaded at all.

givette: .45 Winchester Magnum does NOT equal .458 Winchester Magnum.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys. I speed read the post. No excuse. I'm gonna delete. Best, Joe
  • Options
    BuyMyJunkBuyMyJunk Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still trying to get an idea of it's value. Guy has $699.00 on it.

quote:Originally posted by PC800
    Lemag was a custom gunshop, the guy's name was LeGendre I think. He converted some M-1 carbines to different calibers, including the 45 Win Mag. (45 Win Mag is NOT for large dangerous game, and not usually found in bolt action rifles, it is just sort of an elongated 45 ACP and found in handguns mainly)The Lemags are few and far between, I had put one on order when he just sort of disappeared. I have never seen a real one, but there were several articles written about them and I do not recall any problems. If you do not buy it, I would be interested in it.
    thanks

Found some more info:
    The LeMAG carbine conversion cost approx. $350 in '95. 15 rnd mags hold 6 rnds, 30 rnd mags hold 13 rnds, and they are original mags, but they slightly modified the feed lips and TIG welded steel studs onto the back of the mag. 230grn bullets gave no problems, but there were FTE with 260 grn bullets. 230grn rnds clocked 1864fps 4 ft from the muzzle, and 260 grn was 1482fps. They were available in 9mm win mag, 10mm mag, 50AE, 475 Wildey, 357 mag, 44 mag, and 41 mag, but all those were considered custom conversions, and were $200+ more. This info came from American Survival Guide Jan '95 by Jim Benson
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    guy had one on his table at the last gun show here for $750, so the price seems in line