In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trap and skeet

iowamichaeliowamichael Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference between trap guns and skeet guns. Some guns have skeet chokes ( which I guess spreads the shot ) and some trap guns have full or extra full chokes. [?]

Comments

• Options
    iowamichaeliowamichael Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After many years of pistol shooting, I want to start shooting skeet and trap at a local club. Right now the only gun that I own that would get me started is a 1972 Remington ll00 with 28" mod and 30" Full choke barrels - neither is a vent rib. Is this sufficient to get me started? Could I still get a skeet barrel for this gun?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sheet targets are shot at close ranges normally Passing shot and you need large pattern Trap target are going away shots and unless you get "ON THE BIRD" very quickly you need a pattern at say 30-40 yards without large open spots. [:p]
  • Options
    collector14collector14 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was a good explaination. I don't shoot Trap or Skeet, but I like to take my stepson to the Turkey shoots in the Fall (paper targets) and I had a Browning BT-99 Trap gun that performed very well (it was 32" bbl + full fixed choke). I now have a Remington 90-T Trap gun that has a 34" bbl and full fixed choke.

http://www.guncollectorsclub.com/shotguns.htm

I've never had good luck at the Turkey Shoots with the adjustable/removable chokes you find in the Skeet guns.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Butt Stock and Sight or Sight Rib are VERY different between a Skeet Gun and a Trap Gun. A high comb on a Trap Gun gets the shot column out in front and above the "bird".
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, its that easy.
    skeet is close shooting, trap is far away.
    those full trap chokes are for whats called handicap shooting at 27 yards. see, the better you get at trap shooting, the farther back you must stand from the house. you start at 16yds and go back. but as you go back,the target flies in the opposite direction away, and, some shots are made at 50 yds + to target.
    in skeet shooting, the better you get, the smaller the gauge you must shoot. all shots are at 21 yds to target.

official trap is 12ga only, skeet is 12/20/28/410 ga.

hope it helps!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always appreciate the information I read here and have the utmost respect for the fellows who respond here to help us.

I do feel compelled to offer some additional information regarding what bobski said about Trap & Skeet shooting. In fact, in trap shooting, as the shooter moves back from 16 to 27 yards, the targets still fly in the same directions as usual, not in the opposite directions??

In skeet shooting, all classes from AAA to D&E shoot the same gauge guns in each event and from the same distances. There isn't a requirement that better shooters have to shoot smaller gauge guns? As always, a shooter can elect to shoot a smaller gauge in any event--for example, lots of shooters shoot the 20 ga in the 12 ga event. Obviously, a shooter cannot shoot a bigger gun than the event calls for.

All skeet guns are more open choke than trap guns. Skeet shots vary from as little as a couple of yards at station 7, out to nearly 40 yards on some of the way accross the field shots--before the target goes out of bounds.

Anyway, I'll quit before my addition and correction becomes more confusing.

thanks bobski for you good information.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    as you go 'back' the target goes 'forward,' thus it flies away from you only at a greater distance. the targets flight characteristics remain constant.[8D]
    hows that?[:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski--I knew you knew better--just ragging you a little bit!!!! Good answers and lots of info to share.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The differance in "GUNS" mainly is that in skeet you get a 50% pattern. meaning that 50% of the pellets will be above line of sight and 50% will be below. this is a typical skeet gun.

now a trap gun will go from a 60/40 up to 100% above line of sight. since trap targets are going away and rising the higher shot string will help in shooting these targets.

you always want to keep your eye on the target. so skeet where the targets mainly are crossing. you keep the sight in front of the targets. in trap you float the target above the sight.

trap guns tend to have more gadgets on them (adjustable combs, adjustable ribs, adjustable butt pads, and recoil reduction devices). these are designed to get the gun to shoot where you are looking. except for the recoil reduction.

Hope some of this helps out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.