In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Source for Winchester model 54 Bolt Assy

freonr22freonr22 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi! 1st time poster.. Looked at history here first... Looking to find a model 54 bolt assy in 30 gov'ment 06.. any suggestions? Ive looked on gun broker for about 6 mos, googled for days, tried numrich, brownells, bobs.. Help! btw it is a real beautiful stainless steel barrel. My Favorite Gun, although the m96 1903 swedish mouser is pretty cool

thanks for your time all

paul
www.pcmechanicalsupply.com

Comments

• Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is a Swedish Mouser kinda like a Persian or Siamese Mouser? [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tease... made me look to see if i had a real answer..
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are looking for the proverbial "needle-in-the-haystack". Winchester only made approximately 52,000 Model 54s during an 11-year production period. The 52,000 made were split up into (10) different catalogued (standard) cartridge chamberings, with the 30-06 and 270 being the most common, and at least a half-dozen special order cartridge chamberings (25-35 W.C.F., 32 W.S., 35 Whelen, just to name a few). Actual production numbers by caliber/cartridge are not known, but my guess is that roughly 15,000 of them were made in 30-06, and another 12,000 - 14,000 in 270 W.C.F. (270 Win). Because the 270 W.C.F. was developed from the 30-06 GOV'T cartridge, the bolt is the same for both. The 257 Roberts chambered guns als share the same bolt dimensions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i KNOW ARGGGH! my freind spent 6 mos cleaning the whole unit up and in a move, the wife... I lost it!!!
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just compared the bolt from my 1950 Model 70 270 against my 1927 Model 54 like yours. They look the same, and it fit almost all the way, but would not close. So, maybe you should ask if the 70 bolt can be safely fitted....maybe some smithys would know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you i will inquire..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well after 8 months of looking i did find my missing bolt! thank you to all for your assistance. checking the stickys and searching the threads, my serial # 31584a was said to be made in 1930. i have not been able to find any w/ a stainless steel barrel ( original) mine evidently has been altered due to bent bolt handle, but sure does look factory. sn is engraved on bolt. any idea how many were made? i think to a purist is is not collectible due to 1 drilled and tapped hole @ back of rec, and belt bolt handle.. did the factory ever offer bent handles? thanks again for your support.

paul
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert , but have not seen a win 54 with a "stainless barrel" coming from the factory,, and the bolt handles on my collection of 54's are all "bent" standard like the 70 from the same era ,,, what do you think about the stainless set-up Bert ??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have seen at least a six different Model 54s with factory stainless steel barrels. Winchester first offered them in late 1927, but due to market resistance, they discontinued them in 1930 (though some were made up from leftover parts right up to the end of production in 1934). Winchester was unable to blue the barrels, so instead, they were painted with a black enamel (which ressembled a "Jappaned" finish). The paint quickly succumbed to flaking, and it look horrible to start with.

Over the years, I have seen and documented many different Winchester Models that were made with stainless steel barrels during the 1927 - 1932 timeframe. In addition to the Model 54s, I have found factory original Model 90s, 92s, 94s, 53s, 55s, 12s, and 97s with stainless steel barrels.
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, while I agree there was market resistance based on looks, the other mitigating factors were price and the development of "Staynless" and "Kleanbore" primers. Stainless didn't get popular until new alloys allowed for easier machining with a resultant lowering of prices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joel_black
    Bert, while I agree there was market resistance based on looks, the other mitigating factors were price and the development of "Staynless" and "Kleanbore" primers. Stainless didn't get popular until new alloys allowed for easier machining with a resultant lowering of prices.

Hello Joel,

Yes, there were indeed several other reasons that stainless barrels did not go over well during the era.