In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith & Wesson Triple Lock .455 ammo

bhauerbhauer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Smith & Wesson Triple Lock in .455 Eley. I am wondering if it is safe to fire .455 Webley in it? I can't get the local gunsmiths to give me an answer. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly the reason is that a lot of the old U.S. made revolvers used by the Brits during the First World War have been reworked. Many years ago I had a Triple Lock whose cylinder had been faced off in a lathe so that it would work with .45 Auto ammo using half moon clips. Because of this it wouldn't function properly, with the .455 Webley it was manufactured for. Check the rear face of the cylinder for excessive headspace with one of the .455 Webley cartridges. If there is, try .45 Auto using half moon clips.
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the back of the cylinder hasn't been shaved for .45ACPs in moon clips, .455 is the correct ammo for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number is still present on the back of the cylinder so it appears to be unaltered. Havent shot it yet though. Im still waiting for some ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did get a box of .455 webley made by Fioche today. It shoots fine and groups well. Quite a pistol!