In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester mdl 70 pre 64

ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I looked at a couple of rifles, manf. 1950 and 1954, the receivers looked like they were parkerized. I never read anywhere that was standard. Is it standard or is it aftermarket?

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The finish you describe is the factory finish on Model 70's of that era. I believe the metal was sandblasted or somehow given a smooth but not highly polished texture. I believe it was a blued finish, not parkerized.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And occassionally you might even see one with the matte finish on receiver and barrel. Original or aftermarkete? Who knows...

[img][/img]IMG_0032.jpg
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have a model 70 30-06 built in 1952 that I got from the original owner32 years ago, it has that dull finish on the action, and I know it's original.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...All five of my '52 issue Model 70's have the same matte black type finish and all are original as can be...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooter 10, The only matte finish I have seen on model 70 barrels was on the stainless steel barrels. Does the rifle pictured have a stainless barrel?
  • Options
    bluetickbluetick Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ochoco, Herschel is correct about the Stainless Steel barreled Winchester Model 70 Pre/64 rifles having a matte finish on the barrel and receivers.

The Stainless barrels were plated with steel so they would blue and the type of plating system Winchester used caused the barrel to look a dark or smoke black/grey color when blued. Also this plating system caused the finish to look matted and comes close to matching the sandblasted blued actions.

Other than the roll stamping and color on the barrel you can tell if you have a Factory Winchester stainless steel barrel by looking at the muzzle and the chamber area of an unrestored rifle, both ends should be polished shiney stainless steel. Because the chambering and crowning were preformed after the bluing process on the plated Stainless Steel barrel.

Everyone else is correct about the actions of this time being sandblasted and then blued leaving a matte finish.

These parts butt plates, barrels, floor plates, trigger guards, safety assys and screws were belt sanded with a final finish of 220 grit and have a shiner blue. Look at an unrestored rifle you can see the sanding marks running across these parts, this was Winchesters standard finish for all Pre/64 bolt rifles.

The only Pre/ 64 Model 70 actions that Winchester put a shiner polish finish on were the Type I rifles made before 1939 this bluing was referred to as charcoal bluing or machine bluing.

Also some of the Rare Pre/64 Model 70 Special Order rifles Winchester produced, could have a shiney polished finished action if requested by the buyer.

Bluetick