In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California Sales

hidebuyerhidebuyer Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
In some of the Auction Sites here on GunBroker, seller says "No California Sales".... Why is this? I'm not from California, just curious !
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am a new FFL dealer. How do I go about selling guns legally in to California and is it even worth messing with? Are assault rifles still banned from being sold and shipped to the state? Isn't there some certification I need to sell guns in to CA from outside? I want to sell there but worried about the legality of it all.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why do most GB. sales say "no sales to Ca"? And can you sell to a LE officer there?

Thanks
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=330364&SearchTerms=ca

Ignorance; the same reason that most folks describe their serial numbers as: 1234xx.

Neal
  • Options
    t the roguet the rogue Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen. Well stated nmyers.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's because Kalifornia has some pretty bad gun laws(read: Un-Constitutional) that no one wants to deal with. Such as: No detachable magazines. What this says is that even old classics such as the Savage 99 with detachable magazine are no longer allowed to sell in Kommunist Kalifornia. There has to be a way to permanently attach the magazine...and ruin any collector value the gun may have in the future. Tikka T3's (deluxe model?) same case. Detachable magazine = no sale! No .50 cals that use smokeless powder (good thing the NRA at least helped allow black powder shooters to continue on).

But the worst??...even though legally they have to, they won't lift the assault weapons ban. They're being sued, but so what? They will continue to take taxes above and beyond in that state. All the while just running their opponents out of money to sue them. With the fifth largest economy in the world it isn't hard to do.

Edit:

As far as listing the whole serial number, I wouldn't do it right off the bat. If a collector were to contact me over something I was selling then I would give him the whole number. They would also need to know that all relevant numbers on the firearm matched. I have had it happen before when someone stole a firearm from me. And even though I got it back, the number never got out of the stolen database system and it was a PITA to get it cleared. I vowed then to not let serial numbers out unless they were needed.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I still don't understand why some people think that the last 2 or 3 numbers of the s/n are so important. I see several popular writers in gun mags leave off the last couple numbers for some reason and I sure wouldn't call them ignorant.
    If you saw a BAR you wanted to buy in 60% shape with the whole serial # for $285.00 and then found one in 98% shape with the last two no's x'ed out,- made the same day, for $300.00, - which one would you buy?
    A firearm with the same number except with the last 2 numbers seven digits apart would be for most of us - the same age.
    Are firearms without serial no's worthless to you who see the s/n's as so important?
    This thing comes up frequently and I have never heard anyone say WHY they need the whole number. They keep this reason secret from the public. ???
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robert. The reason some sellers will not ship to Calif is the new law that went into effect in July. Dealers must get a prior approval prior to shipping. This takes about 5 mins on a computer.

Some dealers simply dont want to comply, thats their decision, fine, they just will not get any money from Cal. I dont agree with the new law, its stupid, as are most of the gun related laws across the country.

Whats really dumb is many of these dealers will not even ship C&R guns to Cal when C&R's are NOT effected by the law and can be shipped direct to the home of a C&R licensee (longuns).

Even crazier is some will not ship "anything" to Cal, ammo, parts etc. Oh well, if they choose to cut back their sales, that their business.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I.Shute......

I think the reason folks choose to omit the last couple numbers of their guns serial numbers is the fear that someone might file a stolen gun report using that number.

When police take crime reports they generally do not ask for store receipts for stolen guns. Sure, the person making the report would be filing a false police report, but the real owner would still jump through some hoops to undo the damage as the guns serial number would be entered in the national stolen database.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    It's because Kalifornia has some pretty bad gun laws(read: Un-Constitutional) that no one wants to deal with. Such as: No detachable magazines. What this says is that even old classics such as the Savage 99 with detachable magazine are no longer allowed to sell in Kommunist Kalifornia. There has to be a way to permanently attach the magazine...and ruin any collector value the gun may have in the future. Tikka T3's (deluxe model?) same case. Detachable magazine = no sale! No .50 cals that use smokeless powder (good thing the NRA at least helped allow black powder shooters to continue on).

Have to say that is incorrect. OK, you're right about the our legislators being a bunch of left wing losers (they're really much worse than people out of state know) but on the detach mags, the Savage, the Tikka - 100% wrong.

The only guns that must have what would be called a "fixed" magazine
    are centerfire semi auto rifles that have a pistol grip - think of a pistol grip such as an AR or AK. Anything else can have a detach mag - M1A, Mini 14, M1 Carbine - you name it, it's legal. There are thousands of them legally bought & sold in the state every year.

Savage 99, Tikka - perfectly fine. Hell, I shot a semi auto BAR (the WWII type, not current hunting type) at the range last week with 20 round mags. Perfectly legal, because the BAR doesn't have an AR type pistol grip and the mags were preban.

ARs, AKs, FALs are perfectly legal in the state so long as we do a minor modification to the mag release. Adds about 1/2 second to mag change time and it's not permanent - the law does not require permanence, only "fixed". I have 3 ARs, a FAL, a MAS 49/56, a Sig 556 and am picking up a Springfield Scout tomorrow - lots of these guns changing hands in CA every day.

So are things bad in CA regarding gun ownership compared to the rest of the county, yes. Are we better now than say 2 years ago. Maybe, and a big thanks to the NRA. I just hope the Democrat Party on a national scale doesn't do to guns what they did at the state level.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doug.... Your absolutely correct. I didnt completely read sandwarrior's post before, and your right, he is wrong. The Savage and Tikka guns are not effected by the law.

The only guns not allowed due to detachable mags are the guns that fall in the assault weapon catagory, and Savage and Tikka's are not AW's.

I have a WWII type semi-auto BAR 30-06 with 20rd mags that I shoot all the time. Still legal in Calif. As long as it does not have a pistol grip, its fine in Calif.
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL Sandwarrior. Had to double check I was in the ask the experts forum.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher,rmeyer, and Laredo Lefty,

Sorry, you guys were right and I had been misreading the thing the whole time. The law pertains to semiautomatic rifles with any of the following features. Not simply rifles with detachable magazines, thumbhole stocks, and pistol grips.

It's kind of ironic as a former police officer(retired)friend really wants to buy my AR-30. But the way we read the regs we thought he couldn't...

Again, my apologies.