In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of inherited shotguns?

wsimpsonwsimpson Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
How do you determine fair value prior to offer for sale and where to offer. I inherited several shotguns over 20 years ago and they have been in a dehumidified gun vault since then - no use; no rust, etc. My father was a big skeet and trap shooter. The first shotgun I intend to offer is a near-mint Remington 3200 Competition O/U with a checkered stock. I also have an 1100 in 410; 1100 in 20 and an 1100 in 12 that I don't beleive were every fired.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's reverse your first question. If where is the Gunbroker website, then you don't need to worry about value prior to sale. List each gun with a starting price of $100 & no reserve, & sit back & wait until the auction is over. There are other ways to sell guns, but my experience has been that none will get you anywhere near the prices you get on GB.

Of course, you have to do your homework. There are hundreds of variations in all the guns you mentioned, so you have to describe them accurately & in detail. Use S. Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values to help you do that, or just take a look at completed auctions on GB for similar guns.

You also need to post at least 6-8 high quality photos of each gun, including close-ups good enough to read all the markings. If your camera isn't good enough, pay a professional to take the pictures for you.

There is a link on the GB home page that takes you to the Seller tutorial; read it carefully.

Neal
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question is why you would want to sell your fathers guns in the first place . That being said the advice given will help .You can also search around in your area ,find a large gunshop and ask them for an idea of prices .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over a period of 12 years, I've purchased over 160 firearms through the GunBroker auction site - I'm in complete agreement with nmyers on this answer...post your firearms at a reasonable starting price, with no reserve and you will garner the most attention and the highest final bids of any other site (I'm a member on 6 other auction sites)...and there by realize the BEST possible returns. The pricing guides in print are sometimes accurate, but in most cases don't reflect the actual commercial values for on-line auctioned DESIREABLE firearms.
    Jim Hauff
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the boards...
    your comp 3200 trap should fetch 1000 to 1200 on a good day. any personal modifications will reduce it dramatically.
    3200's were prone to cracks in the forearm and grip. check closely.
    also too, see if its been factory upgraded. look for a dot inthe serial number and 2 allen head screws in the receiver face below the bottom firing pin.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.