In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Correct way to remove/install AR 15 Flash hider

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Need info on the correct/best way to remove and install the flash hider on the AR 15. I want to change the one I have, thanks. Are the threads standard or reversed?

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard Rt hand threads.
    1/2"X 28
    Does it have a tiny bit of spot weld on it anywhere?

CP
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard 1/2x28" right hand threads; try using some leather or rubber work gloves in case its a little stuck if necessary, although it should just come unscrewed, works for me anyway.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What brand of AR is it? I know Bushmasters are "blind pinned" in place as are some others. If you don't know what to look for you can ruin the barrel by trying to remove it. It will appear as a discolored spot on the flash suppressor and is very hard to see. If you "get a bigger" wrench it will strip the barrel as the pin is harder than the barrel. This will result in having to turn the barrel back, turn down to diameter and rethread.

Lance
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you stated AR15 that is a Colt product so it is presumed to be a Colt, unless the term was used collectively for non Colt type rifles, in that case then to be safe just check with that particular manufacturer in order to get the correct information concerning your issue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun is a Bush Master, it has a Vortex Flash hider now, However I think it is effecting the accuracy of the gun. I want to replace it with the standard A2 flash hider to see if this helps. I will check on the pin mentioned but I assume the orginal hider on the gun from the factory has been replaced so the pin may not be there.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    It is not effecting the accuracy of the gun since it has no contact with the bullet. Now if the muzzle crown underneath is messed up, or the rifling near the muzzle is bad, that would do it.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wehrmacht_45
    It is not effecting the accuracy of the gun since it has no contact with the bullet. Now if the muzzle crown underneath is messed up, or the rifling near the muzzle is bad, that would do it.

just a guess...what would happen if the crush washer was put on backwards...there is a raised and a flat side to them...
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have several strap wrenches with and rubber and fabric straps. they come in handy for hider / brake removal and don't mar the surfaces.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone who thinks that muzzle brakes/Flash hiders don't or can't affect accuracy are wrong. I have had several guns that shot very differently by changing them. I had an AK that would not shoot 6" groups at 100 yards and by changing the Flash hider reduced the groups by half. All of these create various gas vortex's as the bullet exits the muzzle. These can and do affect the accuracy of the gun as well as where the group will be on the target.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct.
    Anything touching the barrel effects vibration and harmonics.
    Which effects accuracy and point of impact.

CP
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    You want a more accurate AR, you put a free float tube on it.

A quality flash hider should not affect performance. Now a comp pushes on the end of the barrel creating possible issues.

Just so you know, I have shot several AR guns with the vortex and all have been 1.5 MOA or better at 100 yards with decent ammo that matches the barrels twist rate.