In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help with Civil War Sniper Scopes

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any knowledge about the rifle telescopes that Union soldiers used during the Civil War? I'm mostly interested in finding book references, or online references that might provide some detail about the ones of shorter length which were used late in the war. However, any and/or all help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks to each of you for all of the information provided to me on this issue. I will check into some of the many names shown to see if I can locate some more information about Civil War era rifles scopes of the short variety.
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Malcolm

Thank you, v35, for the note on Malcolm. I'll try some google searches using his name.
    What's next?
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    William Malcolm made the WM Malcolm Telescopic Rifle Sight which are very nice Telescopic Rifle Sights although mine are replica they are very close to the originals and here is a little history:
    http://www.scopesguide.com/malcolm-scope.html
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    From what I've gleaned (mostly from these posts) is that the Malcolm system, in the modern repros have very little to no parallax.

GB forum member "happynanoq" has bought the shorter version of the repro Malcolm scope. See if you can touch bases with him.

They are sold through the Leatherwood website. Best, Joe

EDIT:
    Username correction
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1844 John Chapman described his design for a scope sight, which were actually made by Morgan James. Ned Roberts (The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle) said he made sniper rifles and scope sights for Berdan's Sharpshooter Regiment and other Union Army units. He shows a cut from Harper's Weekly of August 7th, 1861 with a picture of what is really a target rifle with false muzzle and scope sight as shot at a Berdan's demonstration in Weehawken, NJ.

In 1855 William Malcolm started making scope sights. His successors, operating as the Malcolm Rifle Telescope Company were still in business in 1940 repairing the old scopes and would build you a new one of period style on order.

I do not know if the current Communist Chinese "Malcolm" scope is a faithful copy of a period scope or not. The mounts are more of the type used on breechloaders in the 1880s, and are still not up to what MVA furnishes BPCR target shooters.

During the Civil War era, L.M. Amidon made scope sights, and Roberts says (The Breech-Loading Single Shot Rifle) that his were also used by Union sharpshooters.

After the Civil War, Norman Brockway used Amidon scopes on his rifles for a while, then tooled up to make his own.
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most everything is made in China even things that say they are made elsewhere usually have components in them from China or were partially assembled there and the WM Malcolm Telescopic Rifle Sights are very close to what was once made as I have several and they are very well made. MVA merchandise is nice and well made although it is way over priced as LeatherWood Optics also has very quality products without all of the hype to jack the price way up.