In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62X39 for competition

ProcrastinationProcrastination Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am a member of a sportsman's club that has a variety of rifle, pistol and shotgun competition. A group there runs some events that require engaging targets up to 100 yards. You have about three minutes to discharge 40 rounds. Rifles that work really well for this type of event are AR-15 type arms that have a scope.

My question is... Does anyone think that this type of event could be entered with a rifle that uses the 7.62X39 cartridge? We have a AK-47, but you pretty much have to use that with iron sights, and that is quite a disadvantage. I had thought of a Ruger mini 30, but have had reports of magazine problems (remember 40 rounds)and only fair accuracy.

Are there any fans of a particular rifle that might fit the bill? These events are not very competative, but one does like to make a good showing.

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    You can scope an AK or a Saiga or even a SKS, but I think the SKS will hamper you via reload time. My hunch is you'll get best accuracy from a Saiga.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tapco makes a replacement handguard with a integral picatinny rail for the SKS rifle. Some SKS's shoot well with decent ammo, there not going to be competitive with a scoped AR's, but it would be fun to see how well you can do. You will have to practice your reloading technique with the stripper clips though, if you want to get off 40 accurate rounds in 3 minutes.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a 7.62X39 AR 15 upper, flat top with weaver style gas block that allows you to attach all sorts of flip up or fixed sights. I have one, it works well. So long as you use good magazines designed specifically for the 7.62 you're fine. The only ones I've used that work are from C Products.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does your AK have the side rail scope mount? Most of the stamped reciever AK's have that, and you can get the mating clamp on from the other side on auction, to mount your own scope in. Lot better system than the dust cover mount.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, we have a Yugo AK-47 and it has no side mount on the receiver. What a great gun. It just never fails, but I think we will keep it with iron sights. We may buy another AK-47 that could be used with a scope. I don't hear very many good reviews on the Mini 30. We are considering a Polytech AK. I have to find out if that is scope compatable. Even a 2 and one half power scope is a great help for me.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    You could mount a none magnified upic onto the gas tube with an Ultimak mount. The yugo has a unigue gas system so be sure to get the mount that interfaces with your rifle. I am not completely sure but I think most polytecs where not imported with side rail bases. The scope mounts that replace the reciever cover are junk so dont put yourself through the frustration. Krebs Custom has an new ak variant that has been modernized. it is sold through R Guns. Here is a few web sites. On the Kalinka optics site check out the psop scopes They are crude but good quality.

look at the PSOP and PSO scopes and also the red dot sights.
    http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/

High Quality Custom AKS.
    http://www.krebscustom.com/

Ultimak scope mounts.
    http://www.ultimak.com/
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A flat top AR with 16" barrel, no front sight and large diameter 1x red dot scope should be fast.
    Since you'll be pumping a lot of gas, some of which may be corrosive, into the action I'd go for a piston actuated upper.
    Also, investigate reliable 7.62 mags. There's some bad press about malfunctioning 7.62 AR mags.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't go POLYTECH with a stamped reciever. I would go to Arsenal USA and get one...they are the best, unless you can find a VEPR, which is its equal.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot a SKS in the old Speed Challenge series. You had to engage 40 standard size clay pidgons with one mandatory reload. The 7.62X39 was great for this as it had very little recoil and was able to break the target with a single hit, the .223's had problems as they would require multiple hits on the targets to shatter them.

I did upgrade to a Mini-30 but I found that the Mini-30 was less accurate, slower to reload and less reliable than the SKS.

Having such luck with my SKS I decided to shoot NRA Highpower. I was so totally outmatched by the M1A's, AR's and boltaction rifles that I bought a M1A National Match the next month.

So if you are shooting at a target that needs to fall down or break the 7.62X39 is a great way to go, but if the targets are paper you would be better off with a AR based rifle as the recoil is low providing for rapid accurate shots and is also very accurate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi dfletcher,

I am intrigued with your suggestion. I know that you can put some really wierd uppers on AR-15's. There is some companies that make .50 cal conversions.

There is a fellow at the club that has a Bushmaster for sale. I could start with that? Then, where do you get the upper for 7.62X39? You don't need to make the upper a "gun purchase" with all of the paper work? Or do?

This does sound like a really interesting winter project.

If there are others that can offer more suggestions along this line please reply.

Why does everbody hate Mini-30's?

Procrastination
  • Options
    SDeadeyeSDeadeye Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bushmaster would be an all right start, if you also want the 5.56 upper for when you're not shooting 7.62...Or you can always get a stripped lower and build it yourself, it's really easy, it takes about half an hour to get the parts in the lower the first time you do it. Olympic Arms makes 7.62 uppers, along with a bunch of other calibers. The lower is the only part that has to be transferred, the upper can be shipped right to your door.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37