In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 s&w

hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Marlin combination mold and reloading tool in 38 S&W M.

I had hoped to be able to cast and reload the 38 S&W round in it. The mold, bullet sizer and priming parts work fine. However, it will not seat a bullet. The cavity is just too long. Any work arounds to make it work?

So what's the difference between the S&W and the 38 S&W M? Is the 38 S&W M a rifle cartridge? Is there a 38 S&W Short, Medium and Long?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    32 S&W can it be shot out of a 38 SP??Are 38 short Colt the same as the 38 S&W?Can someone explain the differances in these 38 cals 38 S&W 38SP 38 long and short Colt.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could the 38 s&w be considered for a modern day conceal carry caliber? If so what would kind of revolver to use? Would the old top breaks in good condition be ok? This would be carried by a woman. Thank You. Okie joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my neighbor stopped by today and gave me a top break 38 s&w 5 shot revolver. It has the pearl handle stocks and what seems to be a grip safety. The finish, nickel I presume is tarnished in spots bore is good.It has a 3and 1/4 in barrel.Can't find a model number.Serial # appears to be 197197. Can't post pics at the moment...anyone give me some info.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a 4th Model "Safety" revolver, also known as a lemon squeezer. It's probably at least 100 years old.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks rufe,
    other than the finish the gun is in good condition and locks up tight.Neighbor found it in her moms things after she passed a few weeks ago,she never knew of it and the family did not want to touch it because it is an evil thing.Offered to pay her but she would not except anything,but I will find something to do for her.Now I just need to find some brass and bullets for it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51
    thanks rufe,
    other than the finish the gun is in good condition and locks up tight.Neighbor found it in her moms things after she passed a few weeks ago,she never knew of it and the family did not want to touch it because it is an evil thing.Offered to pay her but she would not except anything,but I will find something to do for her.Now I just need to find some brass and bullets for it.

I don't know when S & W reworked their handguns for smokeless powder pressures? If this revolver dates to the early 1900's, it might be one of their Black Powder guns. I would be real careful with the reloads, you make for it, unless you know for sure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Originally posted by hdcolt51
    thanks rufe,

I don't know when S & W reworked their handguns for smokeless powder pressures? If this revolver dates to the early 1900's, it might be one of their Black Powder guns. I would be real careful with the reloads, you make for it, unless you know for sure.
    [/quote

I got five rds with it they are definitly smokeless but will check it out to be sure. Thanks