In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Some Advice

intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
I shipped a very nice custom rifle that I sold on-line via UPs ground. It was insured for the full amount, but it arrived at its destination with the stock literally split in half. What do I have to do now?

Comments

• intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need to thin my collection in order to make a few new purchases.

I need to get rid of at least two of the following. What would you recommend selling? What should I keep?

Marlin 336 30-30 w/ Redfield scope, made in 1975, 95%
    Russian SKS, made '49 to '52, receiver cover does not match, 95%
    Norinco SKS Paratrooper, Factory 26, 98%, all matching

Got to pay for the new M4 and used Ruger GP100 I just bought. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Looking to buy my first rifle. I am thinking of buying a Mosin Nagant. I would also like to put some type of scope on this rifle and use it for target shooting. I guess I want a historical sniper rifle. I do not want to spend a bundle. I do not know anything about frosting or bluing. Just looking for some advice on which is the most solid and accurate nagant. Any advice would be helpful. I also welcome any other rifle suggestions.Thanks in advance.Tom
    edited November -1
    I have been off this forum for awhile[sometimes life gets complicated and busy]. Jumping back in because I need some advice from experienced GB sellers. I have a friend who is haveing some health issues, and may need to part with his firearm collection. I don't remember exactly how many he has, but about 15 or so collectable Remingtons. I said I would help him sell on GB if he wants. He would really like to sell the entire collection together. My question is; do you think he could get a better price selling as a group, or seperatly? Thanks for your input.
  • swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you have and what price he wants for them individually and for the group.

Me personally I probably could not afford the whole group but might be interested in some.

I sent you an e-mail in reference to this.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without a doubt one at a time, guns like everything else are cheaper by the dozen. I would expect the difference to be huge no matter what they are.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Separately.
    A person may want an individual firearm, and be willing to pay premium price for it. Not willing to put out the funds to buy all the ones he doesn't want.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I would sell them separately if it was me. I think you will realize more from them that way.
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The number of people in the world wanting to buy a collection is small; a limited Remington collection, even smaller.

The number of people in the world wanting to buy one firearm is large.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Depends entirely on what the guns are. A consecutively serial numbers set of 1861 Navy revolvers would be worth about whatever you wished to ask for them..and would attract big money.

A half-dozen 700's,(unless the classic series) generic calibers, a couple 550's,wct...worth more by the singles.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about gun parts and accessories like tang sights? It's a mistake to lump all that stuff together. It can be a project to properly
    itemize the bits and pieces photograph & list them on Fleabay but
    if the object is to maximize income ,that's what needs to be done.
    Small parts for collectible Remingtons can be valuable.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by intercessor
    I have been off this forum for awhile[sometimes life gets complicated and busy]. Jumping back in because I need some advice from experienced GB sellers. I have a friend who is haveing some health issues, and may need to part with his firearm collection. I don't remember exactly how many he has, but about 15 or so collectable Remingtons. I said I would help him sell on GB if he wants. He would really like to sell the entire collection together. My question is; do you think he could get a better price selling as a group, or seperatly? Thanks for your input.

I concur that individually will bring more money.

Pictures! Lots and lots of cropped pictures showing the gun! (we don't need to see the dining room table over and over) Buying online is sometimes a crapshoot but if you include pictures of every feature from different angles, bidders are more likely to feel comfortable knowing what they're getting.

The timing can also make a difference. It is my feeling that ending auctions in the evening on a weekend is the best way to ensure that your bidders will have a chance to be online at the close. I don't have any solid data to back this up, it's just an opinion based on observation.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they were a collection of Parker or AH Fox shotguns, they might well sell as a group to a serious and well heeled collector. That is less likely with a group of Remingtons, unless they are very old and very fine. In which case you probably would not be selling them on gunbroker.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will get much more seperatly