In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Beretta Cheetah

couchdoncouchdon Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone comment on the usability and durability of the .380 Cheetah? I have a Beretta Model 92 and would like to purchase a small, easier concealable, similiar handgun. Thanks in advance. dlc

Comments

• jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Beretta .380 Cheetah is very reliable and a quality handgun. I would absolutely recommend Federal Hydra-Shok hollow points for the .380 as this is a marginal carry piece. As for a carry piece I would actually go with a small 9mm instead of a 380 something small like a 9mm Taurus Millennium PT1119 or Kel-Tec P-11.
  • couchdoncouchdon Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim: Thanks a million. That was the type of honest opinion I am looking for. dlc

quote:Originally posted by jthoresen
    The Beretta .380 Cheetah is very reliable and a quality handgun. I would absolutely recommend Federal Hydra-Shok hollow points for the .380 as this is a marginal carry piece. As for a carry piece I would actually go with a small 9mm instead of a 380 something small like a 9mm Taurus Millennium PT1119 or Kel-Tec P-11.
  • swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100%.....

The Beretta is a nice weapon however for a carry piece I think you would be happier with something a little lighter such as the Taurus, Keltec, or might favorite the baby Glock in 9mm.

The Hydra-Shoks are my first choice as well.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Beretta FS86, the .380 (9mm short) with the flip-up barrel.
    It's a quality piece, but I've relegated it to the safe as a collectable, since they are rare and no longer manufactured.

CopyofBerettaFS86Cheetah122805.jpg

It would carry alright in a shoulder holster, but is over-sized, snaggy and under-powered for concealed carry, in my opinion.

I like these two:

P-64 with trimmed mags (9x18)
    P-64CCWTrimmedMag052905.jpg

E.G. Makarov (9x18)
    MakarovEGmine04.jpg

The Makarov round is a lot more effective than the .380. Especially the Hornady XTPs, the Cor-Bon PowRBalls and the hot Russian HPs like the Silver Bear 115gr JHPs.

Here's a shot of some FMJ range ammo to demonstrate the powder capacity and round diameter difference between the Mak and the .380:
    9mmMakVs9mmShort01.jpg
    Mak on left, .380 on right

The HP personal defense rounds compared:
    makvs380hp.jpg
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by couchdon
    Can anyone comment on the usability and durability of the .380 Cheetah? I have a Beretta Model 92 and would like to purchase a small, easier concealable, similiar handgun. Thanks in advance. dlc

I have the Beretta 84 and the 85. The only difference is the magazine capacity and hense the grip is a little fatter on the 84. The usability of both is what I'd describe as that rare "perfect point" and great "feel" combination that makes a classic. The 85 is very light and flat, so it is easy to conceal.

Durability is also in that rare level of perfection. I own four guns that have never failed...my two Berettas and my two HKs. These are duty quality guns, ready to go to war, or be a reliable carry around town.

I am of the .380acp is OK camp. I have confidence in it as a defensive round...especially when coming out of the barrel of a very accurate, natural and easy to aim firearm that will not fail.

And on top of all that they are beautiful guns! A no brainer...two thumbs up.