In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Origin and Dating of Proof Mark

gentsongentson Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
I hope someone can provide some information on these proof-type marks that are on an old flintlock pistol. I cannot find them on the internet or in my reference books. The pistol is very ornate and even though I have had several people look at it, none of us saw the proof marks until the second or third time. The marks are located on the inner part of the butt of the grip. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you.

gentson

http://forums.gunbroker.com/pics/gj1/proof.JPG

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a WAG, they might be Silver Hall Marks, rather then proof marks. The English were very particular in this regard. The precentage of silver and maker had to be marked on the object made of silver.

Google, Silver Hall Marks.
  • gentsongentson Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I had an idea that the number had to do with the silver content. Now to determine the other mark...and to try to determine the age. The pistol is supposed to be English, and if your WAG is correct, that gives credence to the origin. Thank you!

gentson
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Could You possibly Post a Full set of Photos of this Gun in its intirety along with the Marks discribed and shown with a bit more light...Best..........
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's 800 silver mounted.
    Inletting isn't so good so I'm thinking not German, maybe Belgian.
    Very ornate metalwork.It looks cast, not engraved.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The marks might also be "guild/maker" marks.

While the engraving and carving may appear "Germanic" I'm going well out on a limb and guessing Italy; as mandatory proofing did not start until 1923-24. Before that it was voluntary and, personally, I don't know of any good sources for early Italian proof, or maker or guild marks.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gentson
    I hope someone can provide some information on these proof-type marks that are on an old flintlock pistol. I cannot find them on the internet or in my reference books. The pistol is very ornate and even though I have had several people look at it, none of us saw the proof marks until the second or third time. The marks are located on the inner part of the butt of the grip. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you.

gentson

http://forums.gunbroker.com/pics/gj1/proof.JPG

No offense meant, don't mean to rain on your parade "BUT" Flintlocks went out of use generally in the 1830's. The pistol in the photos doesn't show the wear and patina you would expect from a 170 year old Flintlock pistol.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Arabs and Indians carried these decorative guns around until recent times. Maybe some sheik or maharaja had it made and carried it in his belt since it has all that silver work.
    Red wood looks like that found on Indian furniture. The carving marks, detail of the wood carving and poor inletting of the metal work, along with cast instead of engraved silverwork: I'd say Spanish, Indian or Pakistani manufacture.
    Appearance of the pan tells me it probably wouldnt work in the rain.