In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman 55

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a used Lyman 55 powder measure. Does anyone know the max charge of ball and IMR type powder it will throw? I have some larger caliber cartridges - 340 Weatherby Mag, 375 H & H & 338 Lapua Mag - & my current measure fall a little short.

Price was good ($25.00) and I can always use another measure anyway but it would be nice if it threw 90 grains or so.

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used one for about 30 years, reload a couple large magnum cartridges, and never ran out of available powder volume.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I just bought a used Lyman 55 powder measure. Does anyone know the max charge of ball and IMR type powder it will throw? I have some larger caliber cartridges - 340 Weatherby Mag, 375 H & H & 338 Lapua Mag - & my current measure fall a little short.

Price was good ($25.00) and I can always use another measure anyway but it would be nice if it threw 90 grains or so.

I've got an older Lyman catalog that shows the Model 55 powder measure as being able to throw a charge range of two grains minimum and a maximum charge of 120 grains. Doesn't say what type of powder.
    Sounds like it will work fine for most purposes on your big magnums to me.
    Lyman Customer Service # is 1-800-225-9626 if you need more info.
    Good luck.............[^]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have (somewhere) a chart that came with my 55 giving settings and charge weights for a number of powders. Lyman can likely send you a copy, but if not, send me an email and I'll send you a photo copy.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher,

I buy up Lyman 55's in excellent condition when I find them. They have the ability to handle most every powder on the market including those long grain abominations that usually get sheared in the process. They were also highly desirable for accurizing by the benchrest crowd until the advent of the hyper-accurate and expensive benchrest dispensers. But most of the hyper-accurate and expensive dispensers can't handle the long grain powders well.

I think the range above is right but I'll make one suggestion for the large drop weights. Try doing them in two drops instead one big one. On the 55's that I use for bigger cases, I get a more repeatably accurate total weight in two drops than from just one big one. Try it with your equipment to see but that's how it works with mine. Yours may be different.

I have also found that accuracy is improved by using the powder baffle and a larger reservoir when I load those large capacity cases.

No matter what method works, you got a good buy for a measure that is very accurate for most every purpose. They are a true work horse for reloaders.

Best.