In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

222 Rem using 35 grain V-max ?

RogmattRogmatt Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Gun is a Savage 24V 222 over a 20 Gauge.
Twist is 1-14.

I have seen this load recipe in some manuals for the 223.
Anything wrong with using the 35 grain V-max in the 222 to achieve slightly better trajectory & velocity?

Comments

• dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Should work just right with the barrel twist rate.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not recommend the 35 gr. V-Max bullet for trajectory. The ballistics coefficient is poor. 100 yard and 150 yard trajectory and wind deflection is better with 40 and 45 grain bullets. The 35 gr. V-Max bullet should be explosive at 222 rem. velocities and trajectory should be flat to 75 yards. Sorry I don't have numbers handy.

Tim
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will work OK in your gun.
    Really just depends on what type shooting & what distances most of it will be at.
    These light bullets were designed for the 22 Hornet cartridge. Some of them have different bbl twists and magazine length constraints.
    I've loaded them in 223 Remington just out of curiosity while I was loading some up for a friends 22 Hornet and they shot pretty decent considering I didn't spend any time working on finding an accurate load.
    With AA2015 powder in a 1-12" twist bbl they shot into 3/4" four shot groups at 100yds, and probably would have done better if I would have spent time tweaking the load or tried different powder.
    Past a couple of hundred yds the 40gr vmax bullet was alot more accurate and not as wind sensitive. The 35gr starts out very fast, but also loses velocity very fast due to B.C. as noted by dtknowles. They will however shoot flat for alot farther than the 75 yds he mentioned. I had no problem hitting ground squirrels at 150 - 200yds with them.
    If your going to primarily use them at closer ranges and smaller targets they would probably be OK for your use.
    If your going to use them for larger things like coyotes, etc., and at longer ranges, a heavier bullet like a 40-50gr H. VMAX or Nosler B. Tip in the same weight range will probably serve you better ( and you can use the same bullets in a wider selection of other guns/calibers too ).
    If your just after the higher velocity, keep in mind that they will leave your bbl very fast, but once down range a little ways the heavier bullets wiil retain their velocity better and actually be going faster.
    As I mentioned earlier, it just depends on what your use will be.
    I would personally stay with at least a 40 gr VMAX, Nosler B. Tip or Sierra BlitzKing.
    Good luck whatever you do................[^]
  • RogmattRogmatt Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you are correct about staying with the 40 Gr. V-Max.
    I was just curious about any experiences anyone had. Thanks for all the great info. I am going to do a trigger job on the Savage and lighten it up some.