In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NcStar rifle scope?

turkeyhunter36089turkeyhunter36089 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Anybody know anything about these scopes? I'm looking for a cheap scope to put on my "everyday" gun. I keep running across these scopes online and have never heard of them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in China. Their rep is that they are worth just about what you pay for them or a little less.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have been told by people who are useing them that they are a good quality scope for the money. And this is from people that I trust highly on their opinions.

No they will not compare to a $400 scope, but your not paying $400 either.

I recently just bought a red dot of theirs and just ordereed a pistol scope of theirs. Havent got to shoot with one yet though.
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They suck. For a cheap scope i'd probably stick with Bushnell, Simmons, or Tasco.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't take a chance. You might get a good one or you might get one like I did. Mine lasted less than one day. It was a gift from a well meaning but cheap family member.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I am currently using a variable power NcStar scout scope on my Mosin Nagant M44 and a Leupold fixed power scout scope on my Ruger M77 Frontier rifle. So far the Mosin Nagant with the NcStar scope has out performed the Ruger/Leupold combination.

The NcStar has worked fine thus far. I have shot a couple one-inch groups at 100 yards with this scope/rifle combination with reloaded 7.62x54 ammo. I have not been able to get the Ruger/Leupold combination to equal the Mosin/NcStar - yet. I don't expect the NcStar to hold together long but its OK for the price I paid. How much better does it need to be if it will 1-inch groups at 100 yards with an old military rifle? BSA, Tasco, Simmons, and Bushnel are also good inexpensive choices.

One of my shooting partners is also using NcStar scout scope on his Mosin Nagant M91/38. It holds excellent groups at 50 yards but we haven't shot it at 100 yards yet.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simmons has been the best cheap scope I have had. tasco had several super crappy adventures. broke a simmons one time, they sent me a new one. I would try the Nc over the tascos
    One of my faves is a 6x38 weaver I bought on clearance couple years ago for $100 brighter than any of my leuplods (ihave like 6 , some 50mm)
    Fixed power leupold are cheaper, too make sure you check those out (leupold are about the toughest!)
    What rifle/application?
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only have experience with their long eye relief scopes - good for forward mounting in scout rifle mode - and they're OK. Alot of people use them on Yugo 48s, Mosins, etc. Basic stuff, they don't break & you can see OK.

I've seen some of the less expensive Simmons & BSA is now made in China also.

I'd save up the $$$ and get a better quality. You'll end up doing that anyway, why not skip the 1st step - buying a cheap scope - and wait for the better one?
  • Options
    moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got one, because the reticle changed from red to green. Looked really cool. Didn't hold zero with my M4 AR. Keep looking.... my .02
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bought a .243 pistol with a new NC scope.... never got it zeroed in with that scope, took all of about 10 rounds for me to take it off and throw it... literally
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in red China, 'nuff said. [:(!]