In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wolf 7.62 X 39 Blown Primers

dkidcatdkidcat Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Anybody else had this problem? I've got a batch of 7.62 X 39mm that exhibits punctured primers about 2 per box of 50 using three diferent guns.

I'm not going to buy it again unless I find out that this is a known issue that they are fixing.

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Never had any kind of trouble with any of it and I shoot thousands of rounds of it. I have another 12,000 comming in both .223 and 7.62x39, not counting what I have on hand.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well , we sell the full line of Wolf ammo , with No Problems ??? who knows , maybe contact them and see what they say about this ???
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You didn't say whether you'd looked at the firing pins of any of the guns you fired the ammo through or whether you'd had this problem before; you also didn't mention any modifications (stronger striker spring, replaced bolt, etc.)you may have made.
    Generally, blown primers are caused by excessive headspace, over-pressure loads, or loose primer pockets.
    Pierced primers are usually caused by a point or burr developing on the tip of the firing pin, not the ammo itself.
    Wolf has a very good warranty,"Send it back and we'll replace it".
    I've never had any problems at all with Wolf, Silver Bear, Hansen, or any other of the foreign makers' ammo, and I've shot a buttload of all of it over the last 15 years or so.
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had one mis-fire...but nothing like that...it's your gun
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the case Lacquer or Polymer coated?
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow! I would have bet this was a known issue. The three types of guns were an SKS, an AK and a Mini-30. Two diferent SKS's, two different Romanian AK's All had the same punctured primers. The initial symptom is smoke comming from inside the reciever. Then, when the case is checked, there's a small crack type perferation in the firing-pin dimple. The primer does not show any flattening from high pressure.

None of the guns had modified firing pin springs. And I fired a fair ammount of older Chinese ammo through these same guns without any punctured primers. The Chinese ammo had a heavier bullet and seemed to be a heavier load.

The ammo boxes are marked: "Wolf performance ammunition 7.62 x 39mm, 122 GR. FMJ Steel Case Non-Corrosive Berdan Primed". There is no date or batch number and the bottom of the case just says "7.62 x 39 Wolf"

I'm not going to send it back, I just don't want to buy more of the same. Is the Bear ammo any different?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RugerNiner Asked: "Is the case Lacquer or Polymer coated?"

I would guess lacquer? Tried scraping the case with a knife but I can't tell. The steel cases are a dark grey.
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Bear ammo is great, in my experience, but i've heard guys come on and whizz and whine about it. It comes from the LVE manufacturing plant in Russia and passes the stringent quality and mil-specification standards of literally dozens of nations around the world, just like Wolf from the Tula plant and Ram and other brands from Barnaul.

A large pecentage of these bad reports about Wolf and other Russian ammo are started by American distributors and dealers who resent the encroachment by more affordable ammo into their markets. COMPETITION is HELL ain't it?!!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    The gray case is the polymer newer stuff.
    I heard of a guy 2 summers ago have his SKS blow shooting wolf. Shops around here were telling customers to dispose a certain lot # of Wolf Ammo.
    I forget the lot # and can't find it.

When a ammo plant screws up it's not just a few rounds, it's hundreds to 1000's of rounds. All brands have screwed up from time to time.

I would throw that ammo out.

Wolf is now selling a classic style 7.62x39 with the green laquered cases.

Found it...
    Wolf 7.62 X 39 Lot Number F 512 - 05 sold in Ohio and Illinois had some issues.
  • Options
    KojakKojak Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had some problems with Wolf .40 ammo. I've shot about 1/2 a case and had two where the primer went off but not the powder.

And like an idiot, I forgot to check to see if there was even any powder in the case.