In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Break in for AR-15

shellitoutshellitout Member Posts: 345 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know if there is a break in point for an AR-15, like some handguns? I'm having problems with the first round loading into the chamber.[:(!]

Comments

• Options
    Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when you are releasing the charging handle do not be gentle, pull back
    and release it. Some people dont let it snap back, wich will cause chambering problems. I might be way off, but its a start.
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What brand magazines are you using ?

mag
  • Options
    KojakKojak Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it doing it with all mags or just one? You might also try putting one less round in the mag and see if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Are you pulling the charging handle back and releasing or hitting the bolt stop/release?

You'll get slightly greater bolt impetus by using the charging handle, but like Patriots son said, riding it forward even slightly can be an issue. You should just yank it to the rear until your fingers slip from the handle.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not using lube, use it!!

I think all guns have some wear in time to a certain extent. What kind of AR?
  • Options
    88fingers88fingers Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was having the same problem with one of my RRA AR's. It turned out to be the ammo that I was feeding her (Olympic). I had bought bulk, and tried everything except switching ammo. Give that a try, use a quality lube, and don't be gentle with that charging handle!