In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ziess

jokenjoken Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Bought a Sako 243 here on GB yesterday. Spozed to be good condition and it looks a little rough. However, it has a Ziess Diavari V 3x9x42 on it. Don't know which reticle. I'm having trouble finding a value on this scope. Any ideas assuming it's in good shape. Paid $816 for the package. Thanks, Ken

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the scope is in bad shape, I think you bought a scope and got a free rifle.

I don't think you can touch a new Zeiss for less than $1,200 anymore.
  • Options
    ptrumble1ptrumble1 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never value a gun by the scope. I have seen good and bad Zeiss scopes, the newer the better.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joken,

When you have the chance and the rifle in your hands, please consider posting some sharp overall and detail photographs for us to compare with your description.

Thanks!

ptrumble1,

"Never value a gun by the scope."

I don't think that's the point being made at all. Given the description it very possibly could be true if his assessments are accurate.

If I put one of my NightForce scopes on one of my Mauser hunting rifles, I certainly WILL value the scope over the rifle. The same case could be made for using a U.S. Optics or a March scope on any everyday type rifle.

However and this is a strong suggestion, without pictures at the minimum and a hands-on examination for appraisal as being the best, it's really hard to determine the value of any firearm. We all do our best to give a street value approximation based on experience, Blue Book references and historic sales information from the auction side. That's about the best that can be expected lacking a hands-on appraisal.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joken,

A Diavari brand is one of Zeiss own built, top of the line scopes. What I would do is put the rifle in bags or rest and secure it as best you can. Then just see, while keeping the scope held in one place if possible, that the scopes crosshairs travel up and and back and forth as you put in elevation and traverse(windage) inputs. The rifle would need to be held perfectly still for this to be able to return the rifle to its original zero. But by watching the crosshairs while they move you can see if there are any glitches that will cause the scope crosshairs to "jump" while being adjusted or not move at all.