In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem. 700 Sendero & VSSF questions

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a few Remington 700's that I had replaced the factory recoil pad with the Limbsaver R3 recoil pad. They worked on both my 700 MLS (muzzleloaders) and my 700 BDL SS DM .300 win mag.

I have three questions.
First, I don't see any screw holes on the Sendero for the butt pad. Can the R3's be used on the factory H.S. Precision stock? The pads on those stocks are better than the factory Remington stock's pad but I don't think they still feel as good as the Limbsavers.

Second, who sells the bolt shroud for both a long action and short action (if it matters) in the stainless finish to remove that stupid J-lock? I see Midway has an aluminum replacement, but I am hoping to get the factory type, which I think is stainless. Also, is there anything different underneath the shroud that I should consider changing to make it like the previous generation 700's?

Last, does anyone know of a place I can send in my triggers to have a PROFESSIONAL trigger job done on them? There used to be a place locally (in Oklahoma City), but it appears they shut down. I don't trust just anyone to work on triggers for obvious reasons. Can most gunsmith's do the job by sending only the trigger (without the gun), or do they need the rifle as well?

Thanks
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sinclair sells the replacement shrouds, although I recommend the whole firing pin assembly. I used a piercision unit from sinclair. The spring and pin replacements have a faster lock time as well as eliminating the j-lock. As far as matching, bead blast it.

The recoil pad on an HS precision stock, is glued on IIRC.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownells sells replacement shrouds and the entire firing pin replacement, you may also want to check out Numrich Arms:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z700
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory serves me correctly, Brownells has what you are looking for in the bolt shroud/firing pin assembly.

Those stocks are made by HS precision, and are not like the cheap injection molded stocks that the Simms/R3 recoil pad tucks right in. Have you gently pulled/spread the existing pad apart at the heel to look for bolt holes? There exists the possibility they are glued on also.

As for your triggers that need tweaked...Any competant gunsmith can adjust those triggers. There is a big difference between COMPETANT GUNSMITH, and gun dealer, pawn broker. But yes they are going to need the whole thing not just the trigger to adjust it properly. There are also a host of aftermarket triggers available, including, but not limited to single set triggers.

Best
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys! It is nice to see some old faces (or names rather) on here. I don't get much time to frequent here often but still think often of my gazillion posts read/written. [:I]

Follow up:
    I see Brownell's has them listed here for a direct replacement (which is what I think I want to do)
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?new=y&pp=1550&p=26611&s=27281#27281 but don't list them for a Long Action Stainless.

On E-gunparts, they have the schematic here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z700 do I need 944070 (Firing Pin Assy. Long Action Stainless)?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One local gunsmith uses a thin sheet of steel - think of a very wide butterknife - and a shrink wrap heater - to heat the epoxy and then tap the "knife" top to bottom lengthwise between the pad base and the stock. I guess it works, I don't have quite the faith to give it a try though.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambihunter,

Pacific Tool and Gauge sells the complete assembly in various combinations:

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm

Darrell Holland also sells complete assemblies in stainless long action:

http://www.hollandguns.com/index.html

If you want to order from Gun Parts Corp., #944070 should be the right part number.

As pointed out, some of the recoil pads are glued on (actually epoxied) to some of the synthetic stocks. A heat source and a thin blade knife will eventually get it off. Do not hurry. I use a hot wire knife but you may not want to afford one of those.

Best.

OOPS - check your e-mail, I sent you some information.

Best.