In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ENFIELD #4

MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
GUYS I JUST BOUGHT A BRITISH ENFIELD #4. THE ONLY REASON I BOUGHT IT WAS IT WAS SO NICE AND NOT REFINISHED OR MESSED UP. BUT THE ONLY WRITING ON THE GUN IS M47 1943? COULD BE 1913. THIS IS ON THE WRIST STRIP THAT CONNECTS TRIGGER GUARD. A 2 IS ON TOP OF WOOD BY ACTION. THATS ALL I CAN FIND. BORE IS REAL NICE. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON THIS RIFLE. MOST OF THEM HAVE A LOT OF WRITHING ON THEM, THANKS

Comments

• Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    The No. 4 Mk 1 was officially adopted by Britain as the primary military service rifle, replacing the No.1 series of rifles.

The rifles just prior to the No.4 and just after the No.1 Mk III were intermediate rifles. The first being the SMLE Mk V rifle in 1922 followed by the No.1 Mk VI in 1926. In 1931 the No.1 Mk VI was modified and became the No.4 Mk 1. Although developed very early the No.4 was not released to the British Army as the primary battle weapon until 1939.

The No. 4 Mk 2, Mk 1/2, and Mk 1/3 had their triggers pivoted to the receiver instead of the trigger guard.

The No. 4 rifle was manufactured in Britain, Canada, Pakistan, and the U.S.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS MOND IS THIS UNUSUAL TO HAVE NO WRITING ON THEM LIKE THIS ONE. ON THE WRIST OF MOST OF THE ENFIELDS I HAVE SEEN HAVE A LOT OF INFO.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M 47 was the marking use during W W II, for the #4's made by the Birmingham Small Arms, ( BSA ), factory.

I have no explanation for the lack of markings? At this late date it doesn't seem probable that their were any W W II vintage #4's still floating around out their that hadn't been reworked or at least rearsenaled. Possibly you just lucked out, and got a good one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WELL THANKS FOR INFO. I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE STATED IT DOES HAVE EMPORT CIA VT. BUT OTHER THAN THAT THERE ARE NO MARKS OTHER THAT WHAT IS ON METAL AND THE LARGE NUMBER 2 ON TOP WHERE THE EMPTY BRASS IS EJECTED. THE 2 IS STAMPED AND HAS BEEN THERE FOR A LONG TIME. LIKE I SAID I ONLY BOUGHT IT BECAUSE IT WAS SO NICE. NO CRACKS ONLY A COUPLE OF SLIGHT SCRATCHES. THANKS AGAIN MOMMASBOY
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "CIA ST ALBANS VT", is the import marking used by Century Arms located in St Albans Vermont. This means your rifle would have been imported sometime since the law was changed on the importation of military rifles in the mid 80's.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    at the least, it should have "No.4 Mk__" stamped on it.
    ex NO.4 Mk1 or Mk1* for "upgraded" guns (like a Mk2 trigger assembly on a Mk1) it should be on the left side of the receiver above the manufacturer and date.
    Is the #2 you mention on the bolt assembly? the enfields had head bolts in #1,2&3.
    is it possible yours is a Savage?
    In any case, cheaper than dirt has 174gr fmj for $12.89/20 and 180gr sp for $13.89. that's about the cheapest i've seen w/o buying bulk.
    tom
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check www.surplusrifle.com for some good info on the Enfields.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WELL I GOT MY MAGNIFIER AND LIGHT ON IT AND FOUND A B ON SAFTY AND I THINK A SMALL 7 NUMBER ON BOLT HANDLE IS 7582 AND A SMALL V. IN FRONT OF CLIP IS A SMALL B. THE NUMBER 2 STAMPED IN THE WOOD IS LEFT OF RECIEVER. WELL ANYWAY I SURE APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP AND INPUT YOU GUYS HAVE GIVEN ME. THIS RIFLE HAS NOT BEEN REFINISHED IN ANYWAY. HAS AN OLD OLIVE COLORED SLING THAT IS PRETTY FADDED. THATS ALL THE MARKINGS ON THE OUTSIDE OF GUN. MOMMASBOY
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    hey Mamma,
    got your email but your account thinks i'm spam and won't accept my answer.
    so the 303 ammo site is www.cheaperthandirt.com
    they have both wolf gold and prvi partizan 303 ammo.
    the 174gr FMJ is the cheapest.
    tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS tplumeri FOR THE INFO. WELL I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION. I BOUGHT A PIG STICKER BAYONET FOR IT AND IT WONT FIT THE BARREL. WHAT IS WRONG HERE. THIS IS A ENFIELD #4 MK1 AND THE BAYONET IS THE SPIKE BAYONET FOR THIS RIFLE. HELP