In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading for BAR

bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a BAR chambered for the 338 win mag. I am going to load me up some of the new tipped triple shock bullets in 160 gr. My question is that years ago I heard or read that you are not supposed to load to the maximum in a semi auto is there any truth to that in you guys opinion.

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Yes, but with an easy workaround. Load your cartridges to the pressures/burn rate that the factory ammo produces.

There may even be a "factory duplication load"* in the reloading manuals but...and a BIG but is..

Manuals have been known to call a loading "factory" when they have worked up a load that is "right up there" in velocity with store-bought ammo. (That doesn't mean that the manual will give you the same pressure and burn rate of the off-the-shelf cartridges)*.

Make sure you can approximate all three (and not to exceed):
    1. Pressure of factory load
    2. Pressure curve of factory load (powder burn rate)
    3. Bullet velocity of factory load

Ideal scenario: If possible, find out if the same powder that is loaded in the factory cartridges is available in bulk purchase, and use the same charge weight.

Best, Joe

*Lyman Reloading Manual, 44th Edition
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    use small base dies.
    work your way up
    assume nothing!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rule of thumb in reloading: starting load is called that- because that is where you are supposed to start- and work up from there, checking accuracy, looking for signs of excess pressure on fired brass. HOTtest load is rarely the most ACCURATE load.