In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which hunting rifle Savage,Remington, Tikka?

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Looking between the Tikka T3 or a Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm-08. Definitely want stainless barrel, really like the grey laminate of the T3 but does it shoot as well out of the box as a Savage? Lets add the Remington 700 Mountain model into the equasion too.

Comments

• skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bite. You may get a lot of different opinions on this, I like your calibur. I think any gun will give more than adequate accuracy for hunting. Buy the one you like and fits you, also the Savage isn't exactly a looker so if you beat it up a little in the woods/hills/rocks/swamp you get what I'm saying, you don't cry about it. I have no experience with the Tikka but I found myself looking at one in 338 Federal yesterday. So I guess I really didn't help you at all.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, the rifles you listed are all good contenders. The Remington and Savage both, have incredible domestic track records, and the Remington is legendary. That said, the Tikka is the best bang for the money. I have sold quite a few of them, and every one has been a MOA shooter with over half being capable of 1/2 MOA. They are very comfortable and ergonomic, with a buttery smoothe action. The triggers are the best in class direct from the factory for a single stage. It will be a crisp glass rod 3 3/4 pounds out of the box. The accu-trigger on the savage is nothing more than a modified two stage trigger.

Also if it were my $$ I would not overlook the 6.5x55 or the 260 Remington, as it is hard to beat the 6.5MM bullet. The rifle choice if it were mine would be a Tikka.

Best
  • amblerrlamblerrl Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TIKKA, TIKKA, TIKKA
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Is the thinner barrel of the Remington Mountain an issue? I'm guessing since it is a hunting rifle and I will not be shooting 10+ shots in a row, it should not matter (as far as the barrel getting too hot).
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    no Sako, over there, or cz ?
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Sako is a little out of my price range. Have not looked into CZ.
  • rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TIKKA, TIKKA, TIKKA, GET THE CLUE??
  • WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700, just ask the Marine Corps, although the CZ is an excellent weapon as well.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    goldeneagle76,

From what I've seen and gotten the chance to shoot, My choice would be the Savage or the Tikka, then the Remington. Tikka's will shoot every bit as well as the Savages out of the box. They both shoot extremely well. The Remington shoots nearly as well and is a solid design that you just can't go wrong with either. Also, I think the Remington Mountain rifle is a short action. If you are looking at model 7 then that is even shorter. Not conducive to loading heavy bullets long. But, very effective for normal seating depths with 140 gr. bullets.

The Remington then the Tikka then the Savage will be the highest to lowest in order of re-sale in case you end up not wanting to keep it. Also, if you want to build a custom on it the Remington will be the first choice, followed by the Savage. I don't know what it would take for a Tikka to customize it the way you wanted but that would be something to look into.

I like your choice of 7mm-08. Very high natural ballistics. One thing that might sway my decision is how tight of a twist can you get in one. Most rifles made for the American market only go as tight as 1-10" I wish we could get them in 1-9" or even 1-8". That way you could stabilize super-heavy-for-caliber bullets. If both 1-10" then that's a wag.

Edit:

CZ is another outstanding choice. I have a 550 and a 452 and they both shoot extremely well.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Looked at a Rem 700 the other day. bolt was stiff and overall the rifle looked like crap. Big let down since I own 14 700s in various calibers. I also looked at the Tikka for the first time. Fell in love to the tune of $697.00 for a 7mm08. Plus another $ 657.00 for a Zeiss acope. Like I really needed that thing but it was really good looking rifle and today I shot it. 1" with factory ammo. Should be sub with reloads.
  • WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, thats too bad; I am considering either an M40A1, M70 or M1903A4 with the iron sights.
    Semper Fi!