In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Ring question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I really like the Burris Signature rings with the synthetic inserts. However, Burris does not make them in an extra high for 1" scopes. Is there any other manufacture that makes such a ring set?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    O.K., here's the question first. What is the general consensus on Leupold QRW rings? Now, here's why I ask. Over the past 8 to 10 months, I have been fooling around with this 673 Remington of mine that is in 6.5mm Rem Mag. I have 2 scope set-ups for this rig. One is a 6-24 Bushnell 4200 Tactical Scope, and the other is a Taiwan made Bushnell Scopechief in 4-12. The Bushnell 4200 I have mounted in Leupold QRW rings, and the Bushnell scopechief is mounted in Weaver rings. It's a cheap set-up that I bought on flea-bay. Anyway, I have been trying about everything I can think of to get this rifle to shoot 100 grain bullets with some sort of consistency. I've used Hornady 95 grain V-Max's and 100 grain Nosler B.T's. I've only used the Bushnell 4200 with these bullets, and the cheap Bushnell for the 140 grainers. No matter what I have tried, about the best I can do is 1.25"--1.5" with the 100's. I shoot 3 shot, shot groups, and on every shot group there is 1 flier that is seperate, and the other are usually within .75" of each other, so today I finally had enough, and tried shooting a group of 3 100 grain nosler's ahead of 41.0 grains of IMR 4320 with the cheap old Taiwan made Bushnell scope, and what do ya know. The nicest little triangle of 3 holes at .75" of each other from center to center. Is it possible the scope rings are at fault, or the scope? It's gotta be one or the other, just don't know which. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just finished a Ruger 77/22 w/ custom laminated stock, & scope. I find that my scope rings are too low. They look to be about .75" from the c/l of the tube to the dovetail. Looking at auctions for rings, they are called low, medium, & high. I don't know what I have but need probably a little more than .25" higher to clear the bolt handle.

Any help appreciated guys,
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I don't want to rain on your Parade BUT IMHO one 3 shot group does not prove ANYTHING I would only make a statement if you compare at least 5 THREE shot groups with one scope and ring setup with 5 three shot groups shot with the other setup all 30 shots with same load . I would clean the bore and leave dry before the start of the test and then again after the scope change.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

I have never been big on strict statistical analysis especially when those that advocate said analysis can't agree on the simple set of numbers in that set that is acceptable.

If I had been in the position of shooting tests in a rifle with one scope mounted for 8 - 10 months and I was getting your group size consistently then I changes scopes and group size shifted smaller immediately, I would certainly give credence to the idea that their was a problem within the original scope system. I don't have to be hit on the head with a hammer to see that there was a problem with the rings, scope, bases or some combination.

You should shoot some more groups to ascertain the consistency and repeatability of the second set up and to determine where the problem is with the first set up inorder to get it fixed.

Best.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And then you might consider swaping the scope rings from the one scope to the other and then retest the 4200. My experience with Leupold QRW rings is limited but what I've had has been good.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii.

If it were me, I would look for a parallax issue with the tactical scope.

Clamp or secure each scope (a hose clamp attached to a railing will work). Focus on an object approx. 100 yards distant. While moving your eye off center to the rear scope ring, note how much the cross hairs seem to move on the target.

After comparing the two scopes this way, please re-post
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cussedemgun, that sounds like a good idea, but would this work? It would be much simpler. I put the rifle and scope on the sandbags, and do the same thing focusing on my target stand at 100 yards. Then repeat with the other scope. The 4200 has adjustable side focus. The cheap bushnell scopechief does not. Thanks for the replies. Here's what I am going to do. First, I'm going out to my deerstannd in about an hour and wait for this real nice 8 point to come back into his scrape like he did last night. Then I'm going to stick him with an arrow. When I get him home and get him taken care of, then I'm going into town and buy a different set of scope rings for the 4200, mount her up and see what happens. If my groups shrink, then I think I can assume the rings are the culprit. If things don't change, then I have another extra set of scope rings and a scope with an issue. Thanks again everybody. I will follow up when I find out the results.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    O.K. The problem was solved this morning. I also have a Remington 673 in 350 Rem Mag, and with that rifle, I don't care if it's 0 degrees outside or if it's 75 degrees outside, with 60.0 grains of 4064 behind a Speer 180 grain flat point, I can shoot 1 MOA all day at 100 yards. So, I took the scope off the 6.5 and mounted it on the 350 and set up a target at 50 yards. I did 50 yards because I didn't know where the point of impact would be. Anyway, I shot 4 shots with the Bushnell 4200 Tactical mounted, and I shot about a 2-3" group at 50 yards. I'll tell ya what, that 350 will wake you up when you pull the trigger on that thing. O.K., so then I put the plain jane Leupold VX-II in 2-7 back on the 350 and squeezed off 2 rounds, which went right through the X, through the same hole. I'm no rocket scientist, but I think that solved the problem. Now all I have to do is box the 4200 back up and send it off to, hopefully, get repaired. Thanks for all the good advice fellas.