In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

222 Remington Ammo

oneshot1941oneshot1941 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
New to the forum, and have a question concerning a rifle I just aquired in 222 Remington. I would like to use it for shooting coyotes, and maybe antelope sized game. The only ammo I can find for it is for varmints only. Is there any ammo out there that would have a little better penetration? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Oneshot1941

Comments

• Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 222 once and considered it to be a varmint-predator rifle and that only. If you want to shoot larger game then maybe look at 24 cal on up. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum! and +1 on Greystone's comments.
    I'd recommend at least a .243 for antelope; better yet something like the 25-06 or a 7mm.
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both my gun and I like hornady. I am with everyone else that 222 is great for shooting groups and varmints. I will admit I have shot a deer with my 222. Was a nice 8 point. Ran about 10-15 yards and went down. Double lung and hit the bottom of the heart. It ripped the leg off the bench in the garage when we tied the hang rope off. Either way its a little light. Go get a 257. I love mine. You can load 60-120gr bullets. I dont go under 87gr but a 120 gr bullet hits hard.

dgac
  • Options
    UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the 222 rem mag for years as the other guys said and love it for the power and accuracy for varmint and p dogs. I have killed one mule deer doe for camp meat but under no circumstances would I go out to hunt big game with either the 222 or the 222 mag nor the 223 which is almost identical to the mag.

As mentioned either the 6MM, 243 or the 257 or 2506 for any game on this continent IMHO. But not the 22s.

Good hunting, place your shots whatever you choose.

UncleFudd
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oneshot1941,

While the .222 is legal in a few western states and it can readily kill an antelope it isn't really the best choice for that endeavor. You probably aren't going to find hunting bullets for the .222.

For antelope I recommend a flatter shooting cartridge over longer ranges. I would recommend a .243 or a .257 Rob. .25-06 or .260 Rem for the antelope. You will often find that your closest shot with them is 200 yds. That is if they remain still and not grazing along at 5mph.

As for varmint shooting they are an excellent cartridge. I typically like using 50/52/53 gr. bullets pushed out to 3200 fps. I have hit jackrabbits with those bullets out to 400 yds. I also put away countless gophers(little p-dogs) in western Montana with a Win 70 HB.
    Speaking of that rifle, it put together the three best groups I ever shot. My personal opinion is that the .222 is about the most accurate cartridge ever designed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I want to thank you each and every one for your answers and replies. I was sort of afraid of the capabilities of the 222 on larger game, BUT, I wanted to ask and be for sure. Thanks again.

Oneshot1941
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Although I agree with the others that it would be best to use a 6mm, there are still great bullets to use in a .224 Caliber for large game, these would include but are not limited to:
    Barnes Triple Shock, 62 and 70gr
    Nosler Partition, 60gr
    Sierra GameKing, 65gr
    Swift Scirocco, 75gr
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Any of the great 224 diameter bullets mentioned by Mk 19 will flat out put a deer in your freezer, especially the 60 grain Nosler Partition, there's not a antelope inside of 300 yards that can stand that strain.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to MK 19 and MR Bruce for your comments. You both seem to prefer Nosler 60 grain bullets. Guess I'll buy a set of dies and experiment.

Thanks also to dgac for your comments on bullets up to 120 grain. I had no idea the 222 would handle a bullet that heavy.

Appreciate all the info.

oneshot1941
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oneshot1941
    Thanks to MK 19 and MR Bruce for your comments. You both seem to prefer Nosler 60 grain bullets. Guess I'll buy a set of dies and experiment.

Thanks also to dgac for your comments on bullets up to 120 grain. I had no idea the 222 would handle a bullet that heavy.

Appreciate all the info.

oneshot1941

He did not mean .224 bullets at 120 gr. In fact, check the twist rate in your barrel, it may not even handle the 60gr. You'll have to experiment and see if it will stabilize them. I'm not saying it won't.

I'm with most of the posters...6mm/243 and up.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oneshot1941,

Welcome to the Gunbroker forums!

Everyone seems to want to concentrate on the antelope and forgot all about the poor coyote. As mentioned, the .222 Rem. will handle the antelope as long as to pay attention to a couple of things.

- Check your rifle's twist rate as most of these were made a 1:14" and will not handle the heavier bullets needed for the antelope:

222 Remington - 1 in 12" . . . . . .Thompson/Center Carbine and Rifle

222 Remington - 1 in 14" . . . . . .Browning; Remington 722, 725, 700, 600, 40XB, 760, 788, 660; Savage 24-V, 340, 112, 2400; Sako; Winchester 70, 770; Wichita; Colt; Husqvarna; Cooper

222 Remington - 1 in 16" . . . . . .J.C. Higgins 52, early Sako

- Make sure you select the bullet with the proper construction for either level of game.

- Shot placement is critical with smaller caliber/cartridge combinations. This is not the time to apply the principle of shoot the shoulder in order to break it down for the follow up shot. Heart, neck, brain or both lungs are the best.

- Coyote are not hard to kill but remember that the kill zone is really quite small and narrow. Your shot/bullet choices are limited by whether or not you want to save the hide. I've had success using the Hornady 50 gr. V-MAX or the 52 gr. A-MAX to take the coyote but I use the 53 gr. Hornady Match HP to save hides. These require absolute precision shot placement though. Fortunately, the .222 Rem. is known for great accuracy.

Best.