In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith and WEsson Model 29 Serial #'s

jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone please post the serial number break for the end of 1970.

For blued model 29's.

Would it be an early N number as 69 was when it went from S to N.

Comments

• Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only info that I could find was that in 1955 the Smith & Wesson Model 29 was introduced with the serial number range of S130000, then ended in 1970 with S333454, then started again using N1 and then ended in 1983 with N932??? range and then went to the 3 letter 4 number serial numbers. It should be in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson which should be 3rd edition and contains serial numbers and dates.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    N69 would be a 1970 M-29.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1969-1970....... S 330000 to S 333454

1969-1972....... N 1 to N 99999

There was an overlap during the transition from "S" to "N" prefix serial numbers.

Model 29 with serial number N69XXXX would have been made about 1980.
  • Options
    jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thankyou gentlemen,

when I said 69 I was referring to 1969, as that is when I thought they went from s to n. I didn't mean an N69xxxx serial number.

anyway, you all have given me the info we were looking for thanks a lot.

jn
  • Options
    sugaraesugarae Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Afternoon All,
    What year was my 44 Magnum S&W revolver made? Searial # AJD56xx. I was in a gun shop here in Maine in or around 1980. The owner was upset because he had ordered a 41 Magnum, and this 44 Magnum was in the box. The box was marked Model 57, Caliber .41, Barrel 6, Fin. B, Stock TS, Features TT TH RR WO, Serial No. AJD5695, Product Code 102204, Spec. Ord. 5350. Every thing was correct except 44 Magnum barrel ( stamped 44 Magnum ), and 44 Magnum Cyl. I have owned the revolver and box with paper and tools ever since. Anything you could add would be helpful.
    Thank You
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it was about 1980? The product code 102204 model 57's were only made from 1984 to 1993.

Is the gun stamped as a model 57 or 29? The model number is found on the frame when you open the cylinder, just above the hinge point for the cylinder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lefty,
    Could have been mid 80's or later, 25 years can blur ones memory. It's stamped 57-1 on the frame inside the crane area. Any idea why there are three letters before the numbers in the serial number? If I remember corectly I bought it because it was very difficult to get a 44 Magnum at that time.
    Thanks
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sugarae.... If you have the factory box with the label that has all the info you previously mentioned, then one of two things is true.

1. The factory goofed and assembled the gun incorrectly by putting .44 cal barrel and cylinder on it, or......

2. Someone re-barreled and re-cylindered the gun from .41 to .44 caliber after it left the factory.

Most likely #2 is true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lefty,
    I was there when he recieved the shipment from S&W. It came from S&W as discribed and I bought it on the spot. Ihave owned it ever since.
    Thanks Again
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sugarea, Then you have a gun in the #1 catagory. An unusual piece.

You might want to write to Roy Jinks at S&W with the info you have on the gun. You can get a letter from the factory, for a fee, authenticating the caliber and features the gun left the factory with.