In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 43

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,

I am currently in the process of researching the Model 43 for an article that I am writing about it. Thus far, I have surveyed nearly (500) rifles, and have identified the timeframe and serial number transition point for all of the known production changes. What I have not determined (yet) is why the serial number was moved from the front left side of the frame ring to the front right side, and the letter "A" was added on the end of the serial number. What I am asking/looking for, is for anyone that has an early production Model 43 (serial number 1 - 6000) to contact me to discuss the exact physical configuration of your rifle. I will ask for pictures (and may ask to use them in my article).

Additionally, if you have a Winchester Model 43 (any serial number), and would like to contribute to my research survey, please send me a PM, or an email (Win1885@msn.com), or post the information in a reply to this topic. I can a specific date of manufacture for any Model 43 serial number from the Winchester PR records.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    "poor mans model 70"

I helped a good friend out and bought this off of him for 400 bucks. I know it was not a good price because the gun has been drilled and tapped for a scope on the side of the reciever. It sucks but that is the way it has been since he bought the rifle in 1968. But to get to my question... does any one know what kind of mount this gun has on it. It is one solid piece and has 4 screws holding it to the mutilated(?sp?) reciever. It has a Weaver J-4 scope on it.

Also does any one know what size tube that scope is??

Thanks in advance
    Brent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a model 43 in 25-20 and was just wondering alittle history on it and possibly a dollar figure on what it is worth. It is in really good shape with no blueing gone. It has a reciever sight. Overall condition is very good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at one of these bolt guns and would like to use my C & R. S/N is 59564A (according to the seller). As I am a resident of California, the gun must be 50 years old to qualify as C & R. Can someone be so kind as to advise me the DOM. Thanks.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need a trigger spring adjusting screw for the above. I have already tried the usual sources and no luck.

AT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been told if you want to know what it's worth put it on gb., but i don't want to sell her. Can anybody tell me what a model 43 in 25-20 w/lyman reciever sights would be worth. I think that everything is original and the gun is in very good shape. excellent blue with only a very few minor stock dents. I enjoy shooting it except the reciever peep sight. For me, give me a scope or iron sights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If anyone is interested in seeing the photos of the scope mount let me know and I will email some photos to you

Thanks
    Brent
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    it,s probley for a .22 rifle and i think the scope is 3/4 inch. the hornet doesn,t have much recoil so a .22 scope would work. eastbank.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brent,
    Like the man said, my best guess would be 3/4" tube and most likely a Weaver mount. Send me a pic or two and I can probably tell you. tube diameter should be pretty easy to confirm just eyeballing it against a ruler.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old J-series Weavers have a 3/4 inch tube. Weaver also made two and 4-hole side mounts.
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just to let you know it is a .218 Bee.
    I hear the rifle is very valuable if been drilled and tapped.
    Would Winchester have put this particular scope mount on this rifle from the factory.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B Mc;
    The 43 was manufactured from 49-57. After around the 38,xxx s/n range the factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. These lil jewels have beeen drilled and tapped up and down the barrel and all over the action. That approach severely deminishes any collector value. The rear left side of the action was drilled and tapped for the Lyman W57-A peep site from start to finish. The plane jane and checkered deluxe models were made in .218B, .22 Hornet, 25-20, and 32-20. The last two being the harder to find.
    You may have a Pachmyer side mount on there. Those four holes kill the collector value. Not seein a pic, would assign a value of about $350 max for a shooter only.
    Have collected em all 4 in plain jane and deluxe. and starting over a third time...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing