In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

would you do a redfield today?

freonr22freonr22 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
\i have read and researched some here, would you keep a redfield scope or would you do something else? i have never hunted but long time shooter just got a 4x12 x 1" ao redfield w/ recent repair papers... 1929-30 winchester model 54 30-06 target now, maybe hunting later, how far can i go? its not a wide view, what would you do in scope terms.....http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113173563

im interested in using this rifle as a staple, no cyote or deer or elk, or buffalo, just all around and as far out as i can, what would you use for far or or close up? thanks, i read a a bunch, they talked about nikon, burris? will $400 be much different than this? if so what about super sniper scope.com? 10x40? or am i just silly?>???

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming the glass is clear, no scratches, etc., you've got a fine scope. Can't imagine needing more than the 4=12.
    That's what I have on my 257. I tend to favor something like a 1 3/4 X 6, but the 4 isn't too much for deer in the eastern woods where I hunt, and the 12 is fine for chucks. I've never gone over 12 except once when a put a 20X Lyman on a .222 Mag. for stricktly benchwork.
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi buddy, get ready for a long hard ride if you plan on putting a scope on a model 54. i think you will find the bolt has to be bent, the original safety will no longer work, and when you throw the rifle up to shoot you have to pull your head so0 far above the stock to see down the tube that you are no longer properly mounted on the stock for a good accurate shot. i can tell you this from experence. i did mount a scope on a mod.54, i did bend the bolt so it would not hit the scope, i found a maynard buhler safty, and i did buy a stock blank from wenig. and make a stock with a higher comb. in hind sight i wish i had left it iron sights and put the effort into something else. good luck.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for Redfield rifle scopes absolutely nothing wrong with them, have used them without any problems and in all types of weather, functioned and performed flawlessly, the widefield scopes are very nice as well with the wider field of view hence the name, it is really too bad that Redfield isn't around anymore as they were a good company.
  • Options
    cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun has already been altered, go for it, if not get yourself a pre 64 mod 70 varmint( early to late 50's) or target and have fun.I have an old Denver Redfield 6x18 AO fine duplex on a 1956 .220 swift mod 70 Varmint, with just a little tweeking it is a true nail driverwith Fed 52 gr match or Hornady 55 or 60 gr factory ammo, out to 250 yards a crow does not have a chance if Im on.. Old unaltered Winchesters are true investments that go bang. happy shooting[:)]
  • Options
    freonr22freonr22 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well thanks for your input!! i did get it mounted w/ a redfield jr base, (3rd hole was already there in bridge). im hoping to try sighting it in this week.. the bolt is close to the scope when open, but it does clear, and yes the current safety is not operable, i need to find a maynard buhler safety. This FORUM IS INVALUABLE!!