In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Trooper MKIII

tcal72tcal72 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I hope someone out there can help me! My Dad bought this gun in the early 80's.He was told that the gun was built with the wrong barrel and that it was one that didn't make it back for the recall.There is only supposed to be 4 of these out there and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this. It's a Colt Trooper MKIII 357 6" vented rib barrel in nickel finish. The vented rib is what it was recalled for. The date on the owners guide is 1979.I'm not looking to get Colt to replace the barrel or exchange the gun. I was just wondering if this made the gun valuable. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    A friend has a Colt Trooper MKIII .357 with a broken hammer spur (he dropped it). I have looked at Numrichs but they don't carry one for the MKIII. Does anyone know where I might begin to look for a replacement? Also is the MKIII's hammer the same as the "Trooper" or the "MKV", or do I need to specifically look for the MKIII's?

One last question, nickel or chrome? Thanks.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Granddad left me a Colt Trooper MKIII stainless six shooter. I would never sell it but I need to know a value. If it's had 200 rounds through it it's only becauswe I went out and shot it about 150 times last week.

Appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have found a Colt Trooper in .22 LR with an 8" barrel, NIB and I am considering making the purchase. The question I have is that the "roll mark" on the right hand side of the barrel is upside down. The left side is correct, but the right side is not.
    Would this add or detract value to the item. It is absolutely new in older brown "wood grain" box, and the current owner is asking $850.

EDIT:
    Thanks all for the input. I may take a "pass" on this one.

Aaron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a question, I have a Colt Trooper MK-III with a 6" Vented rib barrel, nickel plated.
    I don't see any like mine in the pictures for sale. The ones I see don't have the vented ribs, and I also don't see any Nickel plated ones either. So......what is the deal with the one I have? What would it be worth in Very good condition?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a trooper mkIII and i am trying to find grips for it. What is the difference in the frame and grips of the trooper mkIII and the python or king cobra?
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since it was recalled as you say then I would still contact Colt and explain the situation to them as they have always done right by myself anyway and I would presume by several others as well. I have heard of several similar occurrences where a reputable firearms company took back one of their products that was recalled etc for repair or replacement if possible and most of the time at no cost even.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Since Colt has been out of the revolver business for so long, and the model so long discontinued, I doubt they would take it since they will most likely not have the parts laying around for them anymore, but its worth a shot.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, its amazing sometimes what these companies have on hand of outdated product, although its not unheard of for them simply to pay outright for items that were recalled just to take care of the situation; doesn't mean they will though.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like they put a Python or Diamondback barrel on it. What does it say onthe barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Sounds like they put a Python or Diamondback barrel on it. What does it say onthe barrel?
    The barrel says TROOPER MKIII. I'm not looking to get Colt to replace the gun or the barrel. I was just wondering if this made the gun valuable since there was only 4 they didn't get back. Thanks for your help[:)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While uncommon for Colt to put the wrong barrel on a gun, it's happened on occasion. The problem is, they didn't know they messed up, so they would have no way of "recalling" such guns. But, if a customer complained, they would have repaired the problem at no cost, assuming the request came while the gun was in production.

At one time, Colt maintained parts indefinitely, sometimes > 100 years. However, in the 1980's they made a business decision to keep parts only for current production guns. They sold their parts inventory, & most ended up at Numrich. This included many barrels, both regular production & special runs.

Any gunsmith can easily swap Colt barrels within revolver "families". Without factory documentation indicating that your specific gun was assembled with the wrong barrel, your gun is probably worth less than a "correct" one.

Neal
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first Trooper model had a non-ribbed barrel. The Trooper MK III a solid rib barrel and the Trooper MK V a vented rib barrel. If you have a barrel marked Trooper MK III with a ventilated rib then I suppose it was not a regular production model. Might have happened when they were transitioning from III to V and it went through a wrong roll marking machine. The MK III was made 1969 to 1983. MK V from 1982 to 1985, so they crossed paths. Once reference says the MK V might also have a solid rib so maybe the MK III had a few vent ribs.
    My .02 cents.