In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ebony tip on rifle stocks

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is the ebony tips on some rifles painted on or is it an attached material? thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real ones are an attatched piece of ebony wood
    The fake ones are an attatched piece of plastic
    I've never seen one that's painted, but I also wouldn't put anything past a "bubba"
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes it is just painted onto the stock or plastic is used for looks, although some wood stocks have real ebony wood in their stocks fore end tips along with hand cut checkering to accent the beauty of the wood stock.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As it applies to the older Winchester models, it is ebony wood. Winchester used it on forend stocks of the Model 1885 rifles, and the Model 1895 sporting rifles. On the Special Sporting and Special Single Shot Model 1885 rifles, it was also used in the pistol grip.

No.1octagon102881LW.jpeg
    No.2octagon62586LW.jpeg
    No.3half-octagon66954HW.jpeg
    PistolGrip.jpeg
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    As it applies to the older Winchester models, it is ebony wood. Winchester used it on forend stocks of the Model 1885 rifles, and the Model 1895 sporting rifles. On the Special Sporting and Special Single Shot Model 1885 rifles, it was also used in the pistol grip.

No.1octagon102881LW.jpeg
    No.2octagon62586LW.jpeg
    No.3half-octagon66954HW.jpeg
    PistolGrip.jpeg

Is that your rifle, that is very nice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wolverine
    Is that your rifle, that is very nice.

Yes, they are my rifles... thanks[^]
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,, what is the 1 ,2 ,3 stamped on the bottom of your barrels shown in the pics ?

Thanks,,,,,Jim
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    Great pics, as usual. Natural lighting?
    Seems I recall that some of the old Mossberg .22's had black painted forend tips.
  • Options
    martinicadetmartinicadet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The numbers on the barrel refer to the weight of the barrel. A typical 32/20 would be a #1, a 40/65 would be a #3.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spookster
    Bert,, what is the 1 ,2 ,3 stamped on the bottom of your barrels shown in the pics ?

Thanks,,,,,Jim

Hello Jim,

Winchester used many different size (weight) barrels for the Model 1885 Single Shot Rifles. A No. 1 barrel was the smallest diameter barrel (.94" nominal at the breech), and a No. 6 was the largest barrel (1.25" at the breech).

The No. 1 was standard on a low-wall, with a No. 2 being an optional size.

The No. 3 was standard on the high-walls, with sizes 1, 2, 3-1/2, 4, 5, and 6 available as special order options.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Bert,
    Great pics, as usual. Natural lighting?
    Seems I recall that some of the old Mossberg .22's had black painted forend tips.

Yes, I use natural lighting to the maximum extent possible. I am just an amateur photographer, but I do have a real nice Nikon camera[^].
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

I can't let Bert H. have all the fun, now can I? [:D]

Inletted Ebony Forend Tip
    stockmakingebonytipinlegb6.jpg

Inletted Ebony Grip Cap
    stockmakingebonygcinletiy1.jpg

Plastic Glue-on Forend Tip
    stockmakingplastictip2kf7.jpg

I just bought the last 7 sticks of Gabon Ebony that one of my suppliers had left. At $90.00 each stick, the remaining supply isn't cheap. Evidently, the Gabon Ebony has become nearly non-existent except for some of the lower grade stuff coming into this country. There are other ebonies available throughout the world but none are as black or even considered to be black at all.

Now, for those folks who don't mind using plywood or fiberglass for stocks, this is not such a big deal. But for those stockmakers and shooters that prefer the Classic walnut stock with an Ebony forend tip, your days are numbered. So if you're longing for one of those Classic stocked rifles, you might consider starting to save for one now:

rigbyafricancustom416ribq8.png

Best.