In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M14 Clone-Fulton Armory vs LRB Arms

gtanbagtanba Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi again,
I was so happy and grateful with the help I received on my last question I thought I would ask one more. I have most of the parts for an M14 clone, all USGI parts too. I'm planning on sending them to either Fulton Armory or LRB Arms to be assembled into a complete rifle. I had an M1A but it was junk so I got rid of it. Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. I want to send it to be assembled by a master instead of on an assembly line. I searched the web and while I found nothing bad, except maybe the price, of these two companies I could find no head-to-head comparison between the two. Right now I'm leaning toward LRB because of their forged receiver. So is one any better than the other? Thanks again for your time.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    both good how deep is your wallet[^]
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fulton Armory and LRB are both good and have knowledgeable staff, although I would personally go with LRB, as I would have to have the forged steel receiver myself.

Both Fulton Armory and Springfield Armory use the cast Armscorp receivers.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live near Fulton Armory, & they set up a table at several of the local shows. I've seen a lot of their rifles, & talked to their armorers. Yes, their receivers are cast, but they are beautifully finished. They won't say who their supplier is, but I believe it is the same specialty manufacturer who produced receivers for Armscorp. FA says that they have tighter specs & demand high quality, & that appears to be so.

If I just had to have the best, I'd go for a forged receiver. But, you will never know the difference in a lifetime of shooting a rifle with a cast one.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Short answer: Coin toss.

Now that I have that out of the way, a few considerations:

I have heard, (and can't cite a source-may be hearsay) that the cast receivers are "thicker" in some stress areas than forged ones.(Casting is thicker to acheive the same strength as forgings). It's probably unnoticeable, except to the purist. But, the purist will be disappointed in the semi-only configuration of either receiver anyway. LRB receiver will probably keep greater value. F/A receiver will be somewhat less expensive to purchase. See what I mean by coin toss?

Either way, the staff at LRB/Fulton Armory will assemble your rifle expertly.

Unless your "USGI" parts are new (in the wrapper) either company will "mike-out" your supplied parts to ensure that they havent seen excessive use, and re-parked to look pretty. Follow their lead on what needs to be replaced, if it comes to that. After all, you want to start with a rifle that has "zero time" on all its parts, right?

So, I just gave you a long story with no definitive answer. Best I could do..but they are my ramblings. Either way, you're gonna build a sweet one! I have an early SA,Inc. NM M1A (SerNo 044454), and I kinda envy you on what you are doing. Good luck! Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help guys. I figured it would be 6 one way and half a dozen the other way. Most of the parts I have are new in the wrap. I've accumalated them over the past year and a half. Don't worry, I plan on listening to what they have to say and doing what they suggest. My M1A was a new one, got it a few years ago NIB. It seemed like it spent more time at the factory than it did at my house. I did think about an older SA but, with the parts I have and the price of the good condition USGI parts SA rifles, I decided to go Fulton/LRB route. After reading your helpful post I think I'll go with LRB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I made the phone call to LRB. I should have a fancy new rifle in about 8 weeks. I pay all of my credit card bill when it comes, especially for something I don't have to have. It hasn't been charged yet, they will call me a few weeks before the build to verify everything and work out the details and I'm sure bill me, but I don't want to see that one. My cheap you know what will be puckered for a while.[:p] If I figure out how, I'll post a pic or two so you can see what you helped me out on. Thanks.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wolverine

Armscorp is out of business last I saw. They were on the ATF Revoked License list.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to mount a scope get an LRB or a ChiCom receiver.
    The cast receivers often require mods to the mount to work.
    And Fulton seems a bit "Pricey"

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wehrmacht_45
    quote:Originally posted by Wolverine

Armscorp is out of business last I saw. They were on the ATF Revoked License list.

That is too bad, FA and SA probably absorbed their receiver stock.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I heard that some Springfield receivers come from Australia.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you know if they are cast or forged and who makes them?