In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 12 question

teacherteacher Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Situation: I have a Remington Model 12-C that has a really, REALLY poor bore. I know that this particular rifle is difficult (impossible) to resleeve. To complicate matters, this rifle is chambered for .22 Remington Special.
Question: Can I purchase a barrel chambered in .22 s-l-lr for the Model 12 and have it rechambered for .22 Remington Special and installed on my reciever. What is the chance that the threads for .22 Remington Special are different from those for a standard .22 long rifle?
Has anybody ever heard, or know of, a gunsmith who could rework this to .22 magnum? My gunsmith,I trust him, says it's impossible.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your "gunsmith" is a piss poor example of his trade in my opinion!

It is just as easy (if not easier) to have the original barrel relined as it would be to have a 22 S-L-LR barrel rechambered... and your "gunsmith" should know that. The barrel shanks threads are identical regardless of what it is chambered for... again, your "gunsmith" should know that fact.

It is not even remotely close to being "impossible" to convert a rifle designed and chambered for the 22 Remington Special (22 W.R.F.) to handle and shoot the 22 WMR cartridge. I know several gunsmiths who are capable relining the barrel, but my first choice is Randy Redman.
  • Options
    teacherteacher Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the comments/information. Can you give me Randy's contact information?
    Thanks again
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    teacher,

http://www.redmansrifling.com/

Best.

ADDED:

O.K., before this becomes a General Discussion SLAMFEST against gunsmiths, you all need to once again understand the changing face of the profession.

If the man doesn't want to do the job, he may have stated that it was not possible. I would rather that he stated he didn't want to do it and take the chance that the client wouldn't understand but were all different in how we cope with problems.

Not every gunsmith is going to have the tooling to drill and ream a rifle barrel anymore. The call for this is WAY down from what it was 60 or even 40 years ago. Yes, I know it can be done on a lathe but not all of us are willing to do these jobs anymore because the clients aren't willing to pay for what it costs anymore. That's why you see such a dearth of general gunsmiths, clients don't want to pay what a job is worth. There's a better living to be made making rifles and customizing firearms than simply replacing parts or worse making new parts for old guns that folks won't pay for. (Oh, it's Grandpa's old .22 and I surely would like to shoot it again...)

So control those posts about how some gunsmiths are unsuitable and start to look at the industry rather than condemning those guys who are just trying to make a living.

Best.
  • Options
    bigfoot_4bigfoot_4 Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teacher, From what you said I would be looking for another gunsmith.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i guess i'm a piss poor gunsmith also. the rem 12 is a very difficult one to line because, if you look at the face of the bolt, it slams into the rear of the barrel when you pump the action. in time it will peen the end of the liner and you have more problems.
    the shape of the breech face is what i'm speaking of.