In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun scope ? 2

WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
quote: Originally posted by Wolverine
Probably should emphasize that it is for a game and not hunting as everyone has their own lingo and apparently not everyone is familiar with this game.
quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

The game is played a lot in states that have shotgun only for deer. The 30 shots a day should have gave it away. Simple deal...usually 9 inch steel gong at 100 yards...everybody gets one shot at a dollar or two per...last one standing gets prize...usually a frozen turkey(hence the name of the game), or ham.
To answer this question... BURRIS Fullfield II in a 3-9x...no questions asked warranty should you need it, and I am guessing that there is a 99.9 percent chance you will not need to use the warranty. They make a shotgun model or two that have a reduced parallax yardage setting for slug guns.
Best

Interesting game, like I said apparently not everyone is familiar with it, too bad every state doesn't at least have games like this for competition purposes even if its not a shotgun only for deer state, as I feel that competitions and such like this could promote firearms usage amongst others that possibly either are not familiar with them or maybe afraid of them and show people that guns are not evil like some people view them to be and that they are just tools for defense, hunting, competition, etc. Will have to look into this more as it could be something useful to get started in each others state to promote firearms usage.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I totally agree wolverine. Even for the youth shooters there should be classes and categories. I have several friends who have 6-10 year old children. A bunch of spinning targets , a brick of 22's, and a little adult supervision keeps them all well occupied for the afternoon.
  • Options
    pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a blast at turkey shoots. sometimes going on sat & again on sunday. most are reasonable priced around a 1.50 to 2.00 per shot.most give out meat prizes hams,turkeys,bacon,etc.now & again mix in a money round makes for a fun afternoon.there usally ages from 14 to 70, men & women shooting.my wife dosent hunt any longer but she will go to the turkey shoot with me & kicks my * sometimes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a great time for the whole family and a great way to continue the legacy of the Second Amendment through our children as our Forefathers would want us to do.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turkey shooting isn't the same as turkey hunting, though the two are related. In modern competition format, shotguns are shot from 100 feet at a paper target, usually a 4-inch square (the "card") or the outline of a turkey head, and the number of holes in the target resulting from a single shot are counted. This is a test of both the shooter and the shotgun: the shooter has to keep on target over the entire course of the match, and of course the tighter and more uniform the choke, the better the shot will keep together as it flies toward the target.

The so-called Turkey Shoots that are sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation are clay tournaments as opposed to paper targets or card shooting.

Many of these 'turkey shoots' go by the name of meat shoots because of the prizes: turkeys, hams, chickens, and even Cornish Game Hens.

The local shoot that I attend every year around this time runs both days on the weekend and is usually attended by at least 200 shooters. It's held on a private ranch so the Liberals can't say anything. The organizers run it as a charity event for a Food Bank-type program for the holiday. It costs you canned goods or dry goods to get in and some of the prizes get donated back to the charity. They have several categories including a complete schedule scaled down for the youngsters. Parents should bring a cooler as some of these kids can really shoot! It's big, busy and just a ton of fun to be around. The greatest part of any of these competitions is the charity, camaraderie and the discussions about shooting and shotguns. You don't even have to shoot but be sure to bring glasses and good pair of muffs, it gets LOUD.

There are tons of competitions that occur throughout the U.S. in almost all of the States that are not advertised to the general public because of the bad attitudes that the Liberals have towards any type of shooting. It might behoove you to ask around or contact some the shooting organizations in your area to see what's available.

Best.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Local skeet/trap club has noticed a lot of new younger members lately.

Heck, this coming weekend there are 2 sororities doing a charity shoot. Anyone wanna volunteer to help out? :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, from what I have gathered sounds like a great game, besides the food gifts is there alot of food to eat too; will have to try it or just hunt the real thing as we have lots of them amongst other game and sometimes they stop traffic while crossing the road and are pretty comical to watch as well, but I prefer them with mash potatoes and vegetables.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned something new. I have always been a local boy and the predominate game here is the 100 yard steel gong. I had never heard of the 100 feet and card shoot with shot. It has always been slug gun or muzzle loader at 100 yards, shoot each round if you miss you sit down until next round. The clubs even used to furnish the rifled foster type slugs, untill the rifled barrel guns came along. Thanks guys and gals. I look forward to these forums, they seem to highlight my day!