In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 revolver suggestion for 9 year old

Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
My 9 year old daughter loves to shoot my H&R 999. I'd like to give her own .22 revolver (can't quite give away my sportsman just yet). What would you recommend for an inexpensive revolver for her smaller hands, but that she would want to keep for the rest of her life?

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Single Six.....
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Bearcat; I have one in the safe for the grandkids.

BUT, I would be cautious. I just don't think that most kids have the neuromuscular control to safely handle any handgun until they are at least 10-12 years old. I know you will assume the correct coaching position, but it's still a lot more difficult to control the direction of a handgun than a long gun.

Neal

EDIT - The guys are right; the S&W M63 may even be a better choice (I forgot that I also have one of those set aside for the grandkids). But, a S&W may need a little work: I had a Wolff spring set installed, the narrow trigger replaced with a wide, smooth trigger, & an action job done. NEAL
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowering a cocked hammer to half cock or safety notch can be a ticklish
    (read dangerous) situation for adults, let alone a child.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    A J-frame Smith&Wesson might fit her hands better.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My three grandsons and I shoot my J-frame Smith & Wesson Kit Gun with great glee. It is a good fit for small hands, and is relatively easy and safe to operate under supervision. It has a good trigger and good sights too, important for learning. I carry it myself for plinking and when small game hunting, and it does a great job. I would consider it suitable for nearly anyone for all theri life. I once owned an old model Ruger Bearcat, and lamented it being traded off all these years. It should also be a good fit for a youngster learning.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with a Ruger Bearcat loaded a single shot while they are learning. Small frame and with the longer sight radius fairly decent accuracy.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have big paws, and own both of the above mentioned handguns. The Bearcat is a nice little single action that will slow the kids down compared to the double action S&W. That said, I believe the S&W is more accurate and workable to the novice. The bearcat is truly an outdoorsman's gun, great for runing trap lines, and getting meat for the pot. The S&W is more refined with adjustable sights, and a more workable trigger.

No matter which of these two you might get for her, I am sure daddy will be asking his daughter if he can play with her new gun all the time. Not saying your H&R is not nice, but it is not quite the equal of these.

Best
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    The newer taurus 9 shot revolvers are nice... but I gotta admin that my 8 year old daughter loves shooting my ruger mk II w/ 5.5" heavy barrel.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    high standard double 9.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    S&W Model 63 gets my vote for a youngster......
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another vote for a swing out cylinder or break open double action. Other than a single shot, the easiest for a young shooter to safely check for loaded/unloaded status. Adjustable sights and decent trigger would also be high on my list of desireable features.