In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

445 supermag conversion

doneulerdoneuler Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone had or know of a model 336 in .30-.30 caliber that has been converted to the .445 supermag? I would think that it would be a great deer thumper that would be legal to use in my home state of IN. Thanks for some reponses.

Comments

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don,

The conversion of a Marlin 30-30 to fire 445 super mag. is probably possible but not practicle. Case length is different, case head is different, bore is different, overall length is different: seems to me the long way around the block to get where you want to be.

The 445 super mag is built on the 444 marlin case & shortened to 1.610 so if you were to start with a Marlin 444 less modification would be required.

Set the barrel back 3/4", reset head space, & rework the elevator to feed the shorter cartrige. A lot less work to get where you are headed! BUT consider; you will still have an aardvark in the end.

Rossi Puma in 454 Casull is a well built gun with very similar ballistics as the gun you want to build & in the end will cost 1/2 or less than you will spend on the aardvark.

Not all custom work is "enhancing value" so I say it's money spent.
    If you should opt for something more conventional you would have more chance of resale value & therefor later recouping some of the investment.

Some times it's not really necessary to re-invent the wheel.

Just another point of view, Jim