In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Checkering on Pistol Grips

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Am thinking of replacing the grips on a carry piece. There are grips with checkering on both sides, on the right side only and both smooth (generally finger grooved).

What are the advantages and disadvantages? A search in the Experts Forum didn't cover this topic.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharp cut checkering on a snappy pistol will make you bleed. I generally like smooth ones on magnums.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are grips that are meant to keep you secure hold on a gun even with wet or slippery hands and there are grips that seem to be meant to torture you.

On my Colt Pythons, the checkering on the grips was so sharp I had to take them off and put Pachmeyrs on with the Colt logo. Kept the grips.

On my HK USP40, the checkering on the front of the grip was so sharp it would cut your hand. Put a piece of the fuzzy half of a velco strip on that.

On the old single actions, the grips were smooth so it would roll in your hand and allow you to recock the hammer.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Am thinking of replacing the grips on a carry piece. There are grips with checkering on both sides, on the right side only and both smooth (generally finger grooved).

What are the advantages and disadvantages? A search in the Experts Forum didn't cover this topic.

Advantages:
    -Help keep your hand from slipping on grip if wet/sweaty.
    -Some think checkering looks cool.

Disadvantages:
    -Harshly checkered surface can irritate hands (more of an issue for high-recoil/magnum rounds, and during practice with lots of ammo).
    -Some think checkering looks uncool.

Note that there are other options out there besides traditional checkering.

You can have grips that have partial checkering, and of course checkering can be somewhat subdued so it doesn't have to be "razor sharp".

There are stippled type grips, and some people have even turned aftermarket stippling of polymer grip frames into a sort of art form: EG http://www.weaponworx.com/#!stippling--texturing/cyj8

Reptile-like scale patterns are a interesting modern alternative to traditional checkering. There are also all kinds of other patterns out there with squares, dimples, roughened surfaces, etc.

Lastly, judicious application of fine-grit skateboard tape (eg to front and backstraps) can help add grip without bulk or even altering existing grips.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently assembled a Luger from spare parts.
    Aftermarket grips with sharpened diamonds hurt the hand.
    The diamonds especially in the front need to be blunted without screwing up their appearance.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At Yosh's house we like Hogue rubbers. Don't like the Finger Grooves on pistols.

I could see smooth not rubber grip on shirt side so there is no hang up. Function before beauty.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Older hands tend to bleed at the touch of pointy things, and checkering gets harder on older hands as well. Still, if your hands are wet, muddy or bloody, slick grips can be a problem. I tend you use snakes skin textured grips (I think Hogue calls it dragon skin) for some traction without irritation. Maral stag grips also work well for me and are on a lot of my revolvers.

No idea what your budget is, but take a look at Hogue's site. They offer several custom textures and will take on limited changes (such as no diamond 1911 grips with custom texture) They might be willing to texture one side and leave the other smooth.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    At Yosh's house we like Hogue rubbers. Don't like the Finger Grooves on pistols.

I could see smooth not rubber grip on shirt side so there is no hang up. Function before beauty.

I knew checkering was to prevent slipping (didn't fall off the back of cabbage truck yesterday). Didn't know so many had issues with the sharp points (I don't).

Yosh gave a practical reason for a smooth grip on the body side of a holster. Checkered on the other side if it doesn't both your hand or both sides smooth.

Beantown: The stippling link looked great. Way out of budget though. Perhaps I should find a piece of scrap steel and a sharp punch and practice some.