In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crescent Davis

scoutfowlerscoutfowler Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Gun marked Crescent Davis and Mass manufacture should be post 1930 wouldn't it? Read somewhere that is when the merger happened.

Comments

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I could find with a quick search that name was used only very briefly:

quote: In 1929, N.R. Davis Firearms Co., then owned by Warner Arms Corp., merged with Cresent to become Crescent-Davis Arms Co. Because of financial crisis, business continued to decline, and they were forced to sell out. Savage Arms Co. acquired Davis-Cresent in 1931, assembled guns from the remaining parts, and these guns were sold under the Crescent name only.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • scoutfowlerscoutfowler Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like then it would have been made right at 1930 when bbls would have been proofed to handle modern loads. Any way to tell, proof marks, etc?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1929 N. R. Davis Firearms Co. merged with Crescent to become Davis-Crescent Arms Co. H & D Folsom was a New York importer and distributor of firearms from about 1890 to 1930, at which time they merged with the Davis-Crescent Arms Co. In 1931 the depression forced the sale of Davis-Crescent to the Savage Arms Co., which assembled the remaining parts and sold them under the Stevens name. (Another version of the history has Crescent sold to Universal Tackle and Sporting Goods Co. in 1954)

Personally, I would not shoot any of them with modern loads.