In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win 62A Tang Sight?

45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Reading kimi's tang screw woes brought to mind questions on installing a tang sight onto a Winchester 62A.

Marble's looks like a go. So, which model? And one that will work together with the original front site?

Has anyone here done this? Are there other things to be aware of? Such as particular screw size, or is the existing top tang screw the one to use? Etc... ?

Reason asking, having looked into doing this a while back and found conflicting and confusing info/statements on other web-sites. And the tang screw subject was one of those.

A start-to-finish voice of experience would be great, but open to any knowledgeable insight?

45er

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I have installed and removed Lyman and Marbles tang sights from many Wincheser model 1890's. The process is identical to a 62.

First of all, you need BOTH correct tang sight mounting screws. The factory rifle screws will not work.

All of the tang sights work fine with all of the front sights, because the tang sights are adjustable for height.

I prefer Lyman #1 and #2 tang sights. However, a Lyman #1A or #2A would be correct for a 62. I think the Marbles is a W9. Get the correctly coded sight for a 1890 / 06 / 62, NOT a sight for a 94, 86, or anything else. The screw hole spacing is the same on many lever models, but the staff heights differ.
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, thanks, MG.