In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus Model 85

navalav8ernavalav8er Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I can never get a Taurus rep on the phone so I was hoping someone answer this question....
I want to purchase a new model 85 and put factory wood grips on it but not sure if I can swap out grips on this model. Specifically I am looking at Item number 4-300 and/or 4-334 from the Taurus web site. If the gun does accept wood grips, which of these is the right one? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Rob

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought one blued 2 inch bar. My question is it capable of shooting 38+p for defense. Not using for practice just carrying 5 rounds if needed. As always thanks for your replies
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thereare several on auction site that are wood,,maybe contact seller and ask..
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought, but if you want something that can save your bacon, I suggest abandoning the NEW TAURUS idea, all together. I have seen more sent back, than not. Taurus quality control, and customer service, suck over the last 5-10 years.

I would consider in its place, a Charter Arms, or Ruger LCR. They are both pretty sweet...and RELIABLE.

Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course the gun will accept wood grips. There are any number of aftermarket wood grips available for the Taurus model 85. EG:

http://www.handgungrips.com/M85_=_Taurus/521/c

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/taurus/#Taurus_m85.php

Hogue also makes a bunch of wood grips for this model Taurus in different styles and wood types.

Without belaboring the obvious, any of the Taurus listed grips for the model 85 should fit your model 85, including 4-417 and 4-405.

Taurus grip # 4-300 should fit your gun. . .Taurus lists it as a small frame revolver. I honestly don't know about the 4-334. . .the website description contains almost no information and I also couldn't get a Taurus rep on the phone either!

FWIW, in some cases, Smith J frame grips can be made to fit Taurus model 85s. . though it may require drilling new holes in the Smith grips to fit the Taurus frame pins.

Responding to above:
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Just a thought, but if you want something that can save your bacon, I suggest abandoning the NEW TAURUS idea, all together. I have seen more sent back, than not. Taurus quality control, and customer service, suck over the last 5-10 years.

I would consider in its place, a Charter Arms, or Ruger LCR. They are both pretty sweet...and RELIABLE.

Best

I don't want to turn this into a "bash Taurus" thread, so I won't (no matter how sore the temptation)! But (as usual) I agree with TSR. . .I wouldn't go looking to buy a new one. The fact that you can't get Taurus on the phone to answer this basic question. . .that's not a good sign, I don't think.

Ruger LCR is a good revolver, and preferable to Taurus. IMO, Charter is OK.

FWIW, you can find used (but perfectly serviceable) Smith models 36 on the auction site for as little as $300.

That makes them price-comparable to new Taurus revolvers, they're built better, and grips will be easier to find. Assuming you pay fair market value for it, a used Smith is probably going to go *UP* in value over time, plus should you ever decide you want to sell it (you won't), its an easier sale. Buy a new Taurus, and it will instantly lose a good chunk of its value for being "used".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input guys! Most appreciated.