In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning A5 Light 20 stock compatibility

jawjadawgjawjadawg Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have my father's Light Twenty and want to find a stock that I can shorten as a replacement to get my 12 year old nephew started. Then as he grows I can put the original back. I think the light recoil of the gun makes it a good candidate to get him started.

Will any A5 20ga stock be a candidate, or does it need to be from a Light Twenty model? Also, what kind of fitting work should I expect when I find a candidate?

Thanks to anyone with an informed response! Let me know if you have one, too!

Comments

• Options
    T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to measure your sons length of pull first, the stock can be cut down some. You have the action spring and tube that runs up through the stock, possibility might not have enough room for proper fit.
  • Options
    jawjadawgjawjadawg Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by T J McGill
    You need to measure your sons length of pull first, the stock can be cut down some. You have the action spring and tube that runs up through the stock, possibility might not have enough room for proper fit.

I know I'll need to measure him before I shorten the stock. My nephew is 5'6". Is there enough room to trim off a couple of inches? My guess is something around 12.5" LOP ought to be in the neighborhood. Then I can add spacers and pads as he grows each year. Do you know the answer to my original question?
  • Options
    T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stocks are the same, I do know you can get a couple inches on the 12 gage, not sure on the 20. I would measure him to get the L O P then pull the stock and measure how much room you will have between the action tube and were it needs cut. With him being 5'6" I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems. As far as fitting, it should be just a matter of swapping stocks unles it's an unfinished stock. As far as cutting it down, first, drill your but plate screw holes a little deeper than the cut, makes life a little easier after the stock is cut. Next, wrap the stock with masking tape where it needs to be cut. If you have use of a chop saw, lay a piece of cardboard on the table, tape a piece on the fence, lay the stock on the table and adjust the angle of the original but to the blade. Once your ready take your time and cut it off, going slow and having the tape around the stock will help keep the end from chipping out. If you don't have use of a chop saw, use a GOOD crosscut saw and take your time. Next, drill you butt plate holes, pull the masking tape from the cut then put two rounds of masking tape on the very edge of the stock and install the butt plate. Last, grind down the butt plate until you get two the first layer of tape without cutting the tape, pull one round of tape off and sand it down to the first layer of tape and your done. Hope that answers your question.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot A5's my whole life. I would think at 5'6" the gun should fit your nephew just fine.
    practice makes perfect!