In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sonic cleaner ???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Is a sonic cleaner worth the cost when I already have a tumbler? Not looking to soak an AR, only small parts rarely and brass.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I miss having access to a heated ultrasonic cleaner. I don't own or use a tumbler.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one about 3 months ago, after my tumblers motor mount broke. It's a basic model without heating, and ran me about $70.

Does a real good job cleaning brass, sorry I didn't get one years ago. I just use 1/2 and 1/2 vinegar with tap water. Hour in ultrasonic cleaner. Than 8 minutes baking soda and tap water, to kill the vinegars acid action on the brass. Than 8 minute, plain water rinse.

It doesn't get the brass as shiny, as using Hornadys citric acid "One Shot". But it's just as clean. Even the inside of most of the primer pockets.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I bought one about 3 months ago, after my tumblers motor mount broke. It's a basic model without heating, and ran me about $70.

Does a real good job cleaning brass, sorry I didn't get one years ago. I just use 1/2 and 1/2 vinegar with tap water. Hour in ultrasonic cleaner. Than 8 minutes baking soda and tap water, to kill the vinegars acid action on the brass. Than 8 minute, plain water rinse.

It doesn't get the brass as shiny, as using Hornadys citric acid "One Shot". But it's just as clean. Even the inside of most of the primer pockets.

Do you like it better than your tumbler?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Do you like it better than your tumbler?

Yes, it gets the brass cleaner, internally. Previously when I used the tumbler, and walnut shells. Even after tumbling for a couple hours. The outside of the brass was shiny. The primer pockets or insides, were still dirty.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Meh, it works ok but you can't do many shells at once.

I'd go with a wet tumbler and stainless media.