In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning A5

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine has a 1972 Browning A5 12 gauge with a vented rib, he says it was made in Belgium. It is new in the box has never been shot and assembled only twice. He is the original owner and has kept it in storage disassembled ever since he got it.What would it be worth? Thanks!

Comments

• Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    Hi to all
    I have a browning a5 light 20 Jap,grade 1, Vent rib, with a 26" skeet tube that is still in plastic wrappings in the original box. It seems to be new and was purchased in 1980. Can you tell me value as i am helping a widow of a close friend.
    Thanks
    Kevin
    edited November -1
    I bought a A5 last night, it is a light twelve vent rib, needs some work but still very cool. It has St. LOuis on the barrel and such.
    My question os that I have been all over Brownings web site and cannot find out when this gun was made.
    It has a L above a 68xxx, a 5 digit number.All the info on the web site is 6 digit or more.I have been surfing the net for around 3 hours now and cannot get anyplace with this.
    Can anyone help me figure out when this gun was made?
    edited November -1
    Iv got a friend that has a a5 and says it will not cycle the spent rounds, he has cleaned it, is there something that might be broke on it or what would cause it.
    thanks
    taz
    edited November -1
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between the A5 and the Belgian. Other than the obvious of course.
    Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I have Browning A5 in very good shape S#1100's how much is it worth ?
    Vent rib 12G made in 1930's.
    edited November -1
    Was a rubber ventilated recoil pad optional on an A5 20 ga mag? Maybe it was.
    edited November -1
    i have a a5 12gage ,serial #9g 63393. can eney one tell me about
    edited November -1
    Hope you guys can help. I have asked about this gun before but i lost my notes. Serial # 7M 16330, 12 Gauge, Vent Rib, Improved Cylinder,
    26 Inch Barrel. This gun has an excellent appearance, blueing great on barrel and reciever, Honey colored stock and forearm in great shape. Used but well taken care of. Only oddity is that there is no gold trigger. I have never seen one without a gold trigger. Were there any made without a gold trigger? Could someone help me date the gun. Tag says 1931 but I don't think that is correct. Priced at $800 and is far superior to other guns I have priced at 500 to 700. Any help would be appreciiated.
    edited November -1
    Hi i have a older browning a5.I would like to know what the length of the rear stock should be.It also has a metal buttplate.Is this the correct one.This shotgun is from the late 30,s.LMK Chad cch@wilkshire.net
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where to find the DOM and whether or not the gun was Belgium made? I am looking at one with Serial # C12509. At least that is the number I was told.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have just recieved a 12ga. a5 from my mother in law and was wondering the age of the gun. I know that it is pretty old and is in excellent condition. The serial number on the bottom of the reciever is 1M 38134 thanks for any information.
    edited November -1
    Is there a web site explaining how to tell if an A5 has matching numbers (bbl,receiver) as well as how to tell what year came with what; (round knob,flat knob and browning pad or FN plate)? In other words how can I tell if a gun is all original? thanks, beginner-collector
    edited November -1
    Browning 12 gauge lightweight serial # 43385 95% condition value and date of manufacture?
    edited November -1
    Will a Browning A5 barrel work on a Light 12?
    edited November -1
    Hello all how does the magazine tube come out of the reciever on a a5? its a light 12 made in 54. thanks kevin
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Browning A5 Belgium 12ga.w/a 30" bbl. in 95% shape at a pawn shop for $225. Stamped on the barrel is " Full 12 Special Steel". I don't see any other ID marks on it anywhere. What exactly do I have and what's it really worth. I figured @ $225 I wasn't loosing anything. Thanks for any input.Tideman
    edited November -1
    HEY GUYS I AM NEW TO GUN BROKER AND I HAVE A TOUGH QUESTION FOR YA!
    I HAVE A MID PRODUCTION A5 WITH A POLY CHOKE ON IT. THE GUN DOESNT LOOK REBLUED AND I GOOD REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE POLY CHOKE IS FACTORY FROM BROWNING. ON THE BARREL IT A ASTRICK THAT LOOKS LIKE AN ANARCY A NEVER SEEN BEFORE AND NO ONE I KNOW HAS EVER SEEN I AM WONDERING IF THAT STANDS FOR FACTORY POLY AND HOW MUCH MORE IS THE GUN WORTH?

THANKS,
    J
    edited November -1
    I have a 16 ga. A5 that was made in 1954, it has an adjustable choke. I was told that it was installed at the factory.Any info will be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    I have a chance for a one day Dove hunt on Kentucky WMA land. Problem is its near the Ohio river so steel shot only. What risk of damage do I risk useing steel shot in a 1950"s A5? How can I tell what choke I have? It doesnt seem to have it on the barrel.I Dont want to buy a new shotgun for a one day hunt, but dont want to risk damage to a fine old gun either. Thanks for your help
    edited November -1
    I have a Belgium made A5 light weight made in 1968. If I wanted to get another Belgium barrel for it would it have to be off a light weight gun or will any barrel of that age fit? It is a 12 ga. Also can I put a 20 ga. barrel on it? What is the shortest barrel with poly choke they made? What is the barrel marking on a gun that is factory poly choke? *,**,***,****
    Thanks for any and all help with these questions?
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 2 3/4" barrel from another light or standard weight A-5 will fit just fine. 20 ga. won't even be close. I don't recall Browning ever putting a Poly choke of any brand on their new guns. (I may be wrong but most were after market) Magnum won't fit 2 3/4"
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 on a 20,,it ain't funny--
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The * markings are to designate the choke. The more *'s, the wider the spread. One * is full choke, ** is modified choke, *** is improved cyclinder, and **** is cylinder. If you see an 'S', that is skeet. A - after the *'s indicates a choke between the number of *'s you see and the next more open choke.

*, *-, **, **-, ***, ***-, ****, S or something like that.
    edited November -1
    I knew what the * designated. I have been around a few of these guns. The answer about the LTWT and standard barrel is very helpful. AS far as the poly choke I am reasonably sure that some did come from the factory with this feature. My grand dad had one many years ago that he bought new and it had a poly choke on it. I will do some more checking on this
    Thank you all for your honest answers. I appreciate the assistance.
  • T J McGillT J McGill Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.barrelexchange.com, he has several browning barrels in stock.
    edited November -1
    I can not get the link to work but will google it. Thanks