In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1892 38 55

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at a 38 55 Winchesters bore and I do not understand what would cause what I am seeing. Just a little ways from the chamber 8 inches or so I am seeing a series of rings cutting across the rifling It is complete circles a half dozen or so. The bore has some other pitting but nothing I see is excessive. What would cause these rings.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When a bore is ringed, like in your 1894. Could be couple of reasons.

Squib round with a bullet stuck in barrel. Another cartridge than fired hitting the obstruction.

Less likely would be a light load of smokeless powder, that caused a secondary detonation. With the initial firing of the primer, driving the bullet up the barrel. Than the powder fully ignites hitting the bullet, when it's in the barrel.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    My guess is somebody had a cleaning rod chucked up in an electric drill trying to cleanup the bore.

PS - It's an 1894.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    My guess is somebody had a cleaning rod chucked up in an electric drill trying to cleanup the bore.

PS - It's an 1894.

Could also be a Model 1885.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the barrel bulged in that area? I recommend measuring it with a micrometer.
  • dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No Bert it is not a 1885, it is a 1894. I ask you the same question but I had pictures for you. I have yet to figure out how to put pictures on the forum. I had not thought about something on a drill, could be a drill bit as the line are sharp cuts right through the lands and groves. It is a gun I was looking at on line so I can't measure the barrel. Really don't think I need to anyway, the bore is pitted along with these rings, one of those frosted bores we read about, heavy frost.
    I am learning to pay a little more for the better gun and not worry about these things.
  • dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took the pictures to a gun builder and he thinks the circles could have only been made by a drill bit. The edges are sharp and cut right across the rifling. Must have had one stuck really good.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dodge69
    I took the pictures to a gun builder and he thinks the circles could have only been made by a drill bit. The edges are sharp and cut right across the rifling. Must have had one stuck really good.

If it is how you describe? Might have been more than one squib in the bore?

If there is no damage at the muzzle. The old world craftsman who did the job, would have had to have the bolt and it's innards pulled out. I would check the chamber, to see how much potential damage was done to it. Due to the long distance, the drill bit probably was held by a extender. That flopping around in the chamber, migh have screwed it up?
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bore is done.
    Someone used a drill to clear a jammed bullet (squib) instead of driving it out.
    You haven't many options as the barrel is unserviceable.
    Sleeve or replace the barrel.