In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Consigning Firearms at Auction

segerseger Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
What is a reasonable percentage I should expect when consigning firearms at auction.

I'm thinking 20% for $3,500 or under
15% for 3501 to $7,000.
10% over $7,001

any advise ?

Seger

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3% at GunBroker.com
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by seger
    What is a reasonable percentage I should expect when consigning firearms at auction.

I'm thinking 20% for $3,500 or under
    15% for 3501 to $7,000.
    10% over $7,001

any advise ?

Seger

Are you asking as what you should expect to pay to sell a firearm, or receive from the sale of selling someone else's firearm?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the auctioneer usually sets the commission. Most also have a buyer's fee. My understanding is that they set the rules, you take it or leave it.

Neal
  • segerseger Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What percentage should I expect to pay the auction house when consigning firearms for auction ? I will be the consigner . The winning bidder can expect to pay 15 to 20% as well on the back end.

Seger
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At my local auction house the sellers paid 0% on guns and coins, but the buyers paid 18%. They sold a lot of junk guns this way, but i did win a mossberg 20 ga pump for around $130.

Anything besides guns and coins the sellers were charged 10% and the buyers extra charge was still 18%.

Your contract with the sellers would make it easier if you just set a standard rate and not a sliding scale....it would make things easier all around.

just my .02 cents
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    If you are to be the consigner, consider listing your guns on GunBroker. If you don't feel up to it, consider consigning them to a dealer such as Locust Fork.

Or me.

Where are you? Locust Fork is in Alabama, and I am in Texas.

You can surely find a seller who will do better than your median figure of 15%.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd not likely turn my guns over to an auctioneer unless I could set the reserve. Given that, 15% would be fine with me.
    What's next?
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local gun dealer runs one or two auctions a year. He charges 10% sellers premium and 10% buyers premium.
    If a guy had a bunch of guns or some real high dollar guns, I'd bet he'd work with the premium...........
    If you set a reserve and the gun doesn't sell, he charges a fee.
    He has Insurance, rental of a hall, and employees.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aroud this part, a couple of auction guys,,flat 10% on guns, 20% on everything else, NO buyers premium,,Nobody here likes the "buyers"[B)] premium, and hence nooone uses it-
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you set a reserve, you may have to pay a percentage of the reserve price if the gun or other article does not sell.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're in Indiana I'd be glad to list on GunBroker for a fair cut.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly