In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Forehand & Wadsworth 8/16/1881 shotgun

pgspearspgspears Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
This old Forehand & Wadsworth 10 ga. side-hammer needs a screw for the sideplate and one for the trigger guard (rear). Anyone know where I can scavenge them? Also, the shotgun does not have a buttplate but all photos I have seen of them show buttplates. The stock does not have screw holes from original buttplate, so maybe the gun never had one?

Comments

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of these old F&W shotguns. It is marked 'FINE DECARBONIZED STEEL' on the top of the barrel. It has a nickel-plated receiver and buttplate. The value is nothing great, however. I bought mine at a local auction back in the '90s for $75. Makes a neat wallhanger.
  • Options
    pgspearspgspears Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kannoneer
    I have one of these old F&W shotguns. It is marked 'FINE DECARBONIZED STEEL' on the top of the barrel. It has a nickel-plated receiver and buttplate. The value is nothing great, however. I bought mine at a local auction back in the '90s for $75. Makes a neat wallhanger.

Seems yours and mine are close to the same model. I have concluded mine will be a good wallhanger, also, but I just hate to hang anything that has missing parts, evenly lowly screws and buttplates. Here's an idea - you sell to me the screws and buttplate from your shotgun! Just joking! Mine says "Fine Decarbonized Steel" but the steel is somewhat rusted. No nickel plating on mine, either. Looking into that 10 gauge bore is quite sobering! Keep me in mind if you hear of a F&W 10 gauge that is or should be scrapped. I might buy it just to have a source for parts.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since kannoneer has one, it there anyway he can get the screws measured for type, length, and thread and send the info to you to find a replacement or have one made (since it is a wallhanger)?

Gunpartscorp prices the screws at less than $3.00 each so they can't be that unique (even though they are out)
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your local gunsmith likely has a box filled with old screws. Perhaps he'd allow you to take the shotgun in and sort through the box. Be sure to take your own set of screwdrivers with you.