In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester factory letter

stepnmudstepnmud Member Posts: 10
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
how do you get one what information is on them and how much do they cost

Comments

• stepnmudstepnmud Member Posts: 10
    edited November -1
    Have received the Winchester letter I have been waiting for 6 weeks.
    I had 4 points of interest on this Winchester 1886 DOM 1891.

1. rifle has a single set trigger. Confirmed in letter.

2. has a Lyman tang sight and a Beach combination front sight. Not mentioned in letter.

3. possible heavy barrel with .810" at muzzle. No it's standard.

4. has hole in the butt stock and forearm cap for a sling. Not mentioned in letter.

Not earth shattering news, but nice to have the letter.

Good news is this rifle has a really nice bore and bright and shiny with just a few odd marks maybe from cleaning. 9+

Have fired a couple hundred rounds thru it with black powder and light smokeless loads.
    Shoots and functions without issue. Have plenty of pictures. Barrel has turned brown and no case color left except under the tang sight and a few protected areas. The butt stock has a small shrinkage crack at the butt plate but seems solid and forearm looks good with no chips or cracks. Stocks look like maybe been varnish at some time.

Pretty much a standard rifle with crescent butt plate and 26" octagon barrel, 40-82 caliber.
    whats it's value?
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Sounds decent, but the holes for swivels is gonna hurt. Revarnished wood and no bluing, coupled with the 40-82 chambering, leaves the value of this one to the lower end of the spectrum.

It is an antique, so that is a plus.

Bert will nail the value, I will guess $1200.

I did not consider the sight value. Good thing you didn't listen to me![:)]
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Sounds decent, but the holes for swivels is gonna hurt. Revarnished wood and no bluing, coupled with the 40-82 chambering, leaves the value of this one to the lower end of the spectrum.

It is an antique, so that is a plus.

Bert will nail the value, I will guess $1200.

I agree with above, but around my parts closer to $2000.00 maybe. Of course seeing it might help. Almost Any '86 is desirable these days and the set trigger is a bonus!
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a factory set trigger, and the Lyman & Beach sights, it is very close to a $2,500 rifle. The sights alone are worth at least $800.
  • stepnmudstepnmud Member Posts: 10
    edited November -1
    Thanks again Bert for responding and info.
    I knew this rifle was not as much a collectors rifle, but has given me a lot of pleasure shooting it and thinking about the history of a 124 year old rifle and how in 2015 it's still doing what is was made for.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say $2500-3000, set trigger is a nice bonus! Not a fan of the hole in butt stock, or the sanded wood, I do like the remaining case colors.