glue or ?? removal

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Just bought a SX1 trap gun at the LGS. Only problem is that bubba glued the front bead in with something and some of it ran down the rib and dried. What could I use to remove it w/o hurting the blueing? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    laqure thinner,,dremal brush lightly,,finger nail useing OCD[:D]
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If epoxy, acetone will soften,,,,,,,,,,,ask the little lady for her nail polish remover (the kind with acetone) and some q-tips. Don't get it on the wood/finish.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I don't know what in the hell bubba used is there any way that I could tell what it is? Other than the front bead being messed up the gun is a real late SX1 trap gun in mint condition with the box and all of the paper work and don't want to inflict any more damage to it.
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Since I don't know what in the hell bubba used is there any way that I could tell what it is? Other than the front bead being messed up the gun is a real late SX1 trap gun in mint condition with the box and all of the paper work and don't want to inflict any more damage to it.

,,,,,,if the dried residue is 'clear' it's most likely epoxy. The universal solvent is water but it's highly unlikely the adhesive is water based. Use the q-tip with the acetone in one spot and see if it softens the glue. You might have to keep the spot moist with the acetone for a couple of minutes and then check to see if it softens,,,,,,,,,
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks new, thanks FM!